[All Platforms][Playlists] Please stop posting suggested songs in playlists.

So today a made a short Hamilton playlist that has my favorite songs from the musical because sometimes I'm in the mood to hear the entire thing, sometimes I'm not. I can understand not wanting to have playlists under a certain number of songs to prevent people from playing the same 2-3 songs over and over, but they've overdone it by a lot. Firstly the "minimum" (We'll get to that in a second) number of songs needed to prevent a playlist from having suggested songs added to it is 12, however they don't add songs until they get to 12, they just add whatever number they feel like. For example my Hamilton playlist has 9 songs on it that I added, and Spotify added 6. So that means about 2/5 of my playlist is recommendations made by Spotify. Not to mention the recommended songs aren't picked well, instead of songs from the musical they added covers of songs from the musical first. Then they do not prioritize the songs that the user chose for the playlist. So I'll be listing to Hamilton tell off Burr, and then have it immediately go to a completely different artist. Sometimes a cover will come up immediately after the original song which is just utterly infuriating. I've done some digging, and apparently this issue has existed since at least 2015, and it still hasn't been fixed. The second issue is there is no way to get rid of the suggested songs that are added. If you block them, Spotify just adds more. You can't turn off the feature. Now the third and probably most frustrating part of this is that that minimum song requirement doesn't even work. All it does is not show you what recommended songs they added. I have another playlist that is decently long, if I pause it and leave the app for too long, when I come back they start playing either a recommended playlist with some of the songs I chose or they start playing songs I didn't add. Either way I have to restart the playlist at least once to get it to function again.

Now I don't want to get rid of recommendations entirely since people do enjoy them and I don'tfeel like the autoplay feature needs to be removed since that is apparently unrelated(Turningit off doesn't stop suggested songs from being added to playlists). However, they shouldn't be on a personalized playlist because putting in songs that someone didn't ask for is the exact opposite of personalized. Surely it would take less effort to not mess with hand picked songs. 

Preferably, I would have a way to turn off adding suggested songs to playlists automatically or at least the ability to skip suggested songs without using up skips. However, if that can't be done I think it would be better to remove automatically adding recommended songs entirely. People who like recommendations can go to a genre playlist.

Updated on 2018-10-19

Hello and thanks for the feedback!

A similar idea has also been suggested here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Free-Mobile-Less-No-Suggested-Songs/idi-p/4506465

Add your votes and comments there please! ;)

P.S: More information about how the ideas exchange works can be found here.

0 Likes

Related Ideas

Comments
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Duplicate

Updated on 2018-10-19

Hello and thanks for the feedback!

A similar idea has also been suggested here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Free-Mobile-Less-No-Suggested-Songs/idi-p/4506465

Add your votes and comments there please! ;)

P.S: More information about how the ideas exchange works can be found here.