Announcements

[All Platforms][Playlists] Reorder tracks in a playlist by a new user created "Track Number Column"

As you start to amass lots of songs in playlist it starts to be not enough to reorder the tracks by just title, artist, album or date added.

Spotify lacks a new column in which the user can assign a custom track number to songs in any playlist and sort it by track number.

Idea for a new layout with the track number rowIdea for a new layout with the track number row

I believe I am not the only audiophile out there that loves to create a custom playlist's songs order for a party or just for personal fun. Just imagine how many hours someone can spent collecting lots of songs, drag and drop all of them in a particular order just to mistakenly click in the album row title and lost all that drag and drop effort to create a perfect playlist?Imagine listening to a movie soundtrack, or a videogame soundtrack, and then losing the original songs order?

I know that if you click 3 time in a row title the playlist will return to the "original order", it means somehow spotify already has this track order data saved in its servers and all we neeed is to "see this data" and be able to change it manually by typing the track order number.

Look at it as an opportunity to give all spotify customers a very simple but powerful capability of all the classic mp3 players like Winamp! Create a custom playlist order, save it, and see the user created track order numbers in its own column.

Lots of young people that listen to music today in spotify don't care about that feature, but I bet there is a lot of veterans out there like me that used to create huge playlist track orders in Winamp, Foobar2000, SongBird, etc.

Let's do it people!

@vero777  @Marco @tmcmanamey  @hisen1  @Rob_Wright 

Regards,
Leonardo Acquarone

Updated on 2019-07-18

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

A similar idea has also been suggested here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-More-Columns-to-choose-from-e-g-year-genre-etc/i...

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

0 Likes
Comments
natalielawrence
Casual Listener

On both webplayer and mobile, you can alter the order of playlists already. When you have it organized by the "orignial order" as you've previously described, you can change song order on webplayer by dragging & dropping songs where you'd like, and on mobile by pressing the "...", then edit, then dragging and dropping by the three lines on the right of he song name. 

This is certainly not effortless, but what you're describing sounds like it would probably be complicated to a) have spotify produce and for b) users that don't have an introduction like the one you've given that explains this tool.

LeoAcquarone
Casual Listener

Dear @natalielawrence thanks for your kind input on my idea, I will address the two concerns you have raised.

A) Since the spotify app already has "saved" the user arragement of songs in the playlist it is very plausible to presume that they can update the code to show this order with a simple column filled with numbers. Now supposing that the playlist is not arranged by numbering the songs in the background (hide from user sight) it is a very common feature in all music players, thus I believe it is not a difficult coding to be done from scratch.

B) I believe that every person using a computer nowadays has seen an excel like app and knows what a column filled with numbers means and that it can arranged/sorted (1 to 10 or 10 to 1)    

Katerina
Status changed to: Duplicate

Updated on 2019-07-18

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

A similar idea has also been suggested here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-More-Columns-to-choose-from-e-g-year-genre-etc/i...

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.