[All Platforms][Playlists] Smart Playlists (From Metadata/Tags)

I've seen a lot of suggestions and frustrations around music library management, and have personally felt that pain as well. I think ditching the notion of playlists and moving to a more dynamic model would really help.

The killer feature will be that when you add a new song to your library, it will automatically populate to every 'playlist' where it matches the saved criteria.

Here is the outline:

• Encourage people to just "add" any song or album to their library which associates it with their account like it does today.
  • Allow people to search their library to generate lists of music. They could search for an artist, album, genre, etc. This would quickly generate a playlist for them on the fly.
  • Allow people to tag songs or albums with their own keywords that they can use in searches.
  • Let people 'pin' searches the same way they can save a playlist now.
  • Whenever you go to a saved search, it will scan your library again to see if there are any new matches and automatically add them.

This could exist side by side with the current playlists. Also it could easily be extended for more search options like whether or not to include Explicit songs, only include songs added in the last x days, etc.

Updated on 2017-06-20

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea
Updated: 2016-06-28

Marked as New Idea and edited title to make it easier to find via search. This is a reopening of the following inactive idea.

I would like to have playlists automatically update based on play counts for each song, as is done in iTunes.

This also implies that a user can clear the play count for a song or group of songs.

Yes, auto playlists are a very powerful tool and I use all the time in Media Monkey.  But they would not be very useful until Spotify adds user rating (which I can't beleive is still not implemented!!!)  See the "personal rating" request here and vote for it if you like to see it. https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Personal-rating/idi-p/179102#comments

With user ratings and auto playlists, you can easily generate music playlists like "give me all my 5 star rated hard rock songs" to get a workout playlist, or "give me all my 4 or 5 star rated light rock songs" to have music to fall asleep to, "give me all my 5 star rated christmas songs" etc.  etc. to generate playlists of YOUR favorite music, not what spotify or someone else wants you to listen to. 

user-removed
Not applicable

+ 1

Community Legend
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated on 2017-06-20

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!