Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Remember Position in Playlist / Album

Please remember the current song playing in a playlist so if I switch away to a different playlist and then switch back, Spotify will know where I left off.

I often can't finish a playlist right away or my mood changes so I might switch to a different playlist. Later, I want to finish the previous playlist, not start over again.

Updated on 2023-03-27

Hey everyone,

This idea accidentally ended up in the wrong board, so we're moving it back here. 

We're keeping the Not Right Now status as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
IWantSunshine

This was requested MANY times by many Spotify users over the last five years, yet it has never happened. Please please make Spotify remember my position in playlists! This is my absolute number one problem with Spotify. It's so bad that if I ever leave a playlist and start playing something else, then I can't get back into that playlist where I was before as Spotify starts playling the playlist from the very first song instead of where I left off! So I have to use Google Keep (or other app) to make a note that "in playlist X the last song I listened was Y". There MUST be a better solution to this. Also, let's consider this situation (happens all the time): I'm listening to a long-long playlist (or a Radio based on a song etc.) and I encounter a song that I really like. Let's say I'd like to listen to a few more songs from that artist/band . As I don't want to lose my position in the playlist, I stop Spotify, open Amazon Music or YouTube, search for the artist/band, listen to a few more songs from them, and then return to Spotify. Again, there MUST be a better soution. And there is: please make Spotify remember my position in each playlist (unless I chouse shuffle play of course).

groupama3

such basic functionality, this application is updated constantly and yet they won't add this feature

IWantSunshine

groupama3: Exactly! I bet it's a 10 minute programming for a programmer...

federicoboerr

Hi guys at Spotify, any particular reason to be against this feature? Does it not make sense from a product perspective that it never got added to the backlog?

I’d be happy to contribute it if you go open source 🙂

hseberle

Audiobooks are almost useless without this feature! Please make it happen! Useful for Music as well!
Very poor that this is not yet supported!

Robolovsky

Nice to see so many people pushing for this feature. How can Spotify Inc. not even make some sort of response. Is this any way to treat your loyal, paying public? Let's get this sorted please and soon!

hseberle

Btw: This is my absolute number one problem with Spotify after being a paying subscriber for many years. It's so bad that I'm thinking about switching to audible for audiobooks and apple music for the rest!
Come on Spotify - this is not the digital stone agey anymore! The puniy amount of memory needed for this costs nothing! How strange - think about it: If I ever leave a playlist and start playing something else, then I can't get back into that playlist where I was before as Spotify starts playling the playlist from the very first song instead of where I left off! Please implement some simple reading mark
feature!!!

groupama3

@hseberle wrote:

Btw: This is my absolute number one problem with Spotify after being a paying subscriber for many years. It's so bad that I'm thinking about switching to audible for audiobooks and apple music for the rest!
Come on Spotify - this is not the digital stone agey anymore! The puniy amount of memory needed for this costs nothing! How strange - think about it: If I ever leave a playlist and start playing something else, then I can't get back into that playlist where I was before as Spotify starts playling the playlist from the very first song instead of where I left off! Please implement some simple reading mark
feature!!!

very well said! 🙂

ETM

I have a playlist for my 2&4yo in the car.

Dail routine:

Listen to my playlist when leaving work to pick up the kids.

Listen the the kids playlist on the way home.

I know the first songs of both playlist pretty well, and it's funny that when I'm parking it's almost always  on the same songs each day.

The other songs on those playlists are just not getting listened to.

When I hear those last songs elsewhere, i will probably have the sudden need to park a car 😄

Please fix my inconvenience.

PauloJMF

One year has passed, I'd say it's more than time for a Status Update from Spotify.

With an user base of 180 million active users, out of which 83 million are paying subscribers, it nevertheless amazes me to see only 941 votes. Naturally many users find it annoying but clearly the vast majority don't bother enough with it to vote for the idea.

I don't have much to add to all the comments already made. Indeed at first sight this seems a failrly basic feature to implement. It can easily be done (and should, IMHO) on the client end.

I'd say the biggest problem here is communication wise. For a company like Spotify I simply cannot believe there isn't capacity to do better. Surely this was internally discussed but for some reason didn't get yet enough traction and priority to get the needed resources allocated.

No matter how we all consider it a very desirable feaure, the truth is that only 941 out of 180 million voted for it. Anyone can speculate about how many more are really annoyed and a bunch of reasons preventing them to vote but the truth is that only a very small fraction of the user base bothered enough to vote. So how much of a problem this really is for the user community at large?

Surely this isn't the only factor that Spotify takes in consideration when deciding about going ahead with implementing or not an idea, but I'd say it's a quite important one. Surely not as important as user attrition, from a business perspective, but how much of the user base was really lost to the lack of this feature?

Although not a showstopper for me, I do hope this gets implemented soon. Would be nice to have an update soon from Spotify on this. Hopefully finally with the "green light" for this idea.