Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Remember Position in Playlist / Album

Please remember the current song playing in a playlist so if I switch away to a different playlist and then switch back, Spotify will know where I left off.

I often can't finish a playlist right away or my mood changes so I might switch to a different playlist. Later, I want to finish the previous playlist, not start over again.

Updated on 2023-03-27

Hey everyone,

This idea accidentally ended up in the wrong board, so we're moving it back here. 

We're keeping the Not Right Now status as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
Xaq

Is this made to a official feature yet?

bluwduch

Since the inclusion of especially standup comedy, which I listen to a fair bit, it's actually quite annoying that you loose all progress on a playlist if you take a break from it to just listen to some music.

Emilia_8

That's a great idea! I'd really like to see it implemented soon, since it was posted in 2012. 

mdarling78

THIS!!!! this needs oto be a thing!!!

johndary

Are there plans to add this eventually? I listen to lots of playlists concurrently and whenever I switch to a new one I lost my spot on previous ones. I use the shuffle feature as a workaround but it has the same issue in that I might hear the same song multiple times and not hear some other songs at all by doing that.

Please please please add this feature.

mdarling78

This would be a game changer! Please Spotify, get this int there!!!

mhany

A simple counter for how many times we listened to a song in a given playlist - and the ability to sort by the number of listens - would be freakin incredible and would remove half of my frustration with Spotify. 

aesterling

It's really great that Spotify and Apple finally have Siri control for Spotify working!

That said, please allow Siri/Spotify to continue playing where I left off listening in an album or playlist. For example, if I'm halfway through Discover Weekly, I'd love to say, "Hey Siri, continue playing Discover Weekly on Spotify" rather than Spotify just restarting the playlist from the beginning each time as it does currently.

Caffeine

It has been over seven years when this feature was recommended. I, too, find myself often switching playlists or albums and later want to resume were I left of. Please finally implement this useful feature!

hersir

This suggested feature seems so obvious when you consider playlists corresponding to, for instance, Beethoven's nine Symphonies, Beethoven's many Piano Sonatas, Mozarts and Chopins equivalents, all my best blues, and so forth and all in their separate playlists. Why on earth would I want to start from the same baseline every time I need to change genre (which for me often means several times a day).

It's almost as if the programmers aren't using long playlists themselves... 

Another thing that most be coordinated (the information surely is there) is that when I go elsewhere where I'm using an old phone or tablet (e.g. workshop, summerhouse, you name it) then I should be able to carry on listening to whatever I was enjoying when I was in my house (without loosing a pointer to whatever I listened to last when I was in that particular location). 

The realisation that should inspire the vision is that we (pretty much globally, rich and poor) have old phones and/or tablets dying to still have an afterlife (contrary to what their manufactorers want). Many of us are using these for various utilities such as music (wake up Spotify - I can do this with Plex), bedside clocks, Telegram/Signal, weather forecast, etc. This doesn't mean that our mindsets should be dictated by whatever we did last with a particular device in a given location. The music is a precious invention that, among other things, allows us to reconnect with the present.

A final observation is that there is insuficient documentation on the various song. It should be easy, and only one-click away, to get the complete data for whatever album or individual song that one is playing - this must include the years of the performance, year of publishing, all the performers (including their instruments) and so on.

Other than that I'm enjoying it 😉