[All Platforms][Spotify for Artists] Hey Spotify, stop deliberately choking independent artists.

Here's a really good idea Spotify. We know you're controlled by major record companies but why don't you stop deliberately choking independent bands so they can't grow organically?

I'm saying this because, as an independent artist on Spotify I've noticed a pattern where, once I receive a certain amount of listeners per month, Spotify seems to stop playing my tracks in any algorithmical playlists so that my listener count never rises.

In 2018, my listeners numbered 350 per month (not a great deal I know). This had however risen over the previous year and in the last three months of 2018 had started to grow sharply, increasing at a rate of about 20% per month. I was getting about 80 -100 listeners per week and getting about 10 - 15  track likes per week. I confidently expected at least a small amount of incremental growth per month. Instead in the third week of January 2019, suddenly and for no explicable reason, I only had about 10 listeners for the whole week. Result - monthly listener numbers stagnated at 350.

Ever since then the pattern has repeated over and over nearly every month. I get three of four weeks where I'm getting 80 - 100 listeners per week and listeners build up, and then suddenly after a few weeks I get a week with the same inevitable crash, keeping my listener numbers in the 350 region.

I can't see how this would happen (especially as the tracks are getting so many likes) unless Spotify is deliberately manipulating its algorithmical playlists to actively keep independent artists from growing an organic fanbase.

Interestingly, I've just noticed that as of this month (February 2020) , when I create a playlist (usually indie rock based), Spotify has stopped suggesting similar tracks and artists and is now dropping in major label chart releases instead.

Updated on 2020-02-18

Hey there,

We’re closing this idea as it doesn’t follow one or more of the following Idea Exchange requirements:

• One change request per Idea. If you have more than one idea please make a new Idea submission for each.
  • Ideas should be posted in English.
  • Asking for a complete roll back will be closed--we need specific feedback on exactly what you are liking/ disliking about the latest update (but again one idea per thread).
  • Idea posts must follow the Spotify Community Guidelines.

Keep in mind that if you're having troubles with your artist profile or stats, the best way to find more info is by reaching out here.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

0 Likes
Comments
Rock Star 23
Rock Star 23
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2020-02-15

Marked as new idea.

Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2020-02-18

Hey there,

We’re closing this idea as it doesn’t follow one or more of the following Idea Exchange requirements:

• One change request per Idea. If you have more than one idea please make a new Idea submission for each.
  • Ideas should be posted in English.
  • Asking for a complete roll back will be closed--we need specific feedback on exactly what you are liking/ disliking about the latest update (but again one idea per thread).
  • Idea posts must follow the Spotify Community Guidelines.

Keep in mind that if you're having troubles with your artist profile or stats, the best way to find more info is by reaching out here.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.