lately there was a lot of discussion about the new library. I expressed my feelings about the new library in this "blog": https://community.spotify.com/t5/Social/My-thoughts-about-the-new-library/td-p/4791367.
So I was thinking how the new library can be improved to support to old library experience for users which have a preference of using the old library.
What are the things users are most unhappy with:
1. if you don't like\save an album but only like a few songs, the album won't pop up in your album list
2. the album list is filtered on liked\saved albums and not on liked songs
3. the artist page is filtered on the artists you follow, in the past it was based on artists of which you saved songs from in your library.
Let's see how to improve each function.
1. like only some songs of the album
Now you can save\like an album. There are also shortcut options in the menu on mobile to like all songs of an album or to unlike all the songs. Currently it's not possible that when you save an album to only play the liked songs of the album. This can easily be changed by adding another option in the menu: filter on liked songs.
For desktop this is already possible more or less, go to the album, ctrl + select all the songs you like and add them to the queue. There's no shortcut however. So I propose to add this shortcut on mobile and desktop,
2. album view
The album view is now based on albums you saved. In the past it was based on if you saved songs of an album in your library. So if you saved only one song of an album it was on this list. This was a bit weird because why saving an album then at all? What I propose is that the user can choose. Filter on saved\liked albums or filter on liked songs. If you filter on saved\liked albums you have the current experience, otherwise you have the old one.
3. artist view
In the new library this is based on artists you follow. In the old library it was based on if you saved songs of an artist to your library. So if you saved one song of an artist then it was on your list. I propose to let the user choose here also with a simple filter:
- filter by artists you follow (like it is now)
- filter by saved\liked albums. Only artists for which you did save albums will be shown. If you then select the artist you will see all the albums you saved of an artist. For each album all the songs are shown, you can then go to the album and use the "filter by liked songs" if you only want to play the liked songs.
- filter by liked songs. All artists for which you like one or more songs will pop up. If you click on the artist you will see only the songs you like of that artist, grouped by album in the song order of the album.
I think it's not too difficult to do this, it will make the old library users happy and it's not to complex too confuse users which are used to use the new library.
Updated on 2019-07-27
It's better to post each suggestion in it's separate thread. That way, users can vote on each one of your ideas.
In the meantime, similar ideas have also been suggested here:
If possible, please vote for them, and add a comment there, so they may be considered. Any update on the matter should be posted there.
For more info on how the Ideas Board works, click here. 🙂