Allow Users to Flag/Tag Tracks with Explicit Lyrics

Please add an option on the drop-down for users to flag songs not yet tagged as [Explicit]. Crowdsourcing the process of catching all explicit lyrics in music that may have fallen through the digital cracks will go a long way toward making your service usable for parents of small children, users in professional work environments, retail establishments, and a million other places where explicit lyrics aren't welcome. This kind of goes hand-in-hand with the request for a "skip explicit songs" switch posted elsewhere.

The current database depends on the publishers to identify explicit lyrics, and for that to transfer through to Spotify, so while some are identified, others are not.

Abuse can be minimized by allowing only logged-in users to report explicit lyrics, and capping the number of songs that can be flagged per day. Worst case, a song is incorrectly identified as 'explicit' and left off of a 'clean' playlist.

You could default to tagging it as explicit after the first flag, then in the rare case where another user disputes that label, and believes the song to be clean, have a review process by Spotify Staff to permanently 'clear' the song according to Spotify's standards.

Easy Peasy.

Updated: 2016-01-27

Update: This idea has been suggested again here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Music-Ability-to-strike-songs-as-explicit/...

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21
Status changed to: New Idea

Marked as New Idea. This is a repost of the following inactive idea (and another).

werepancake
Casual Listener

This is a really good idea.

mrsrao21

Yes! I play spotify for my kids all the time and put on "Throwback Thursday" and it has Sublime's "Santeria" on the playlist. Luckily, Sublime is my favorite band and I know Santeria is explict, but it was NOT marked as such.

Tecrekka

I have only been using Spotify for a couple days and this is my first concern. 
My 5yo thinks "Thrift Shop" is a song about "King Awesome", and I'd like to keep it that way. 
I just found two versions of remixes of this song, one marked explicit, the other not, and they were in fact the exact same track. 

DarkEagle
Casual Listener
I agree completely with this idea. There are many songs that do not seem to get properly tagged by the publishers when they are uploaded. Overall I think Spotify would be much more usable for many of us if we could: a. Improve the accuracy of the explicit lyrics tagging (this idea thread is a perfect way to do so) b. offer charts playlists (such as Topisfy) in both explicit and clean versions. c. provide a toggle to turn on and off some form of filter. d. If you're listening to a playlist from someone else and have your filter enabled, a way of giving me an easy to use clean alternative would be nice. an example of d above could be something like as you approach an explicit song in a playlist, if you have the filter enabled, it pops up on the screen and says: Warning, the next song in this playlist includes explicit lyrics. Click here to replace this with the "Radio Edit" or otherwise clean version of this song. I for one use spotify to play background music for the baseball team I coach to listen to while we practice. Given that my players are 10, I would REALLY appreciate the help in making sure that I don't expose these boys to music that I wouldn't want my son listening to.
andreadalporto
Please listen and add effective and efficient parental controls
Jonnyincomox
I'm stunned this isn't a feature already, I just got a stern talking too over mislabeled explicit music at work..
tonkthetankrox
Regular

I like this idea.  However I did post a comment months ago stating that if Spotify did not add an optional content filter that I would cancel my subscription and uninstall their program.  I invite anyone else to join in my new years resolution to boycot Spotify until such action has been taken.  And please, let them know the reason you are leavin

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated: 2016-01-27

Update: This idea has been suggested again here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Music-Ability-to-strike-songs-as-explicit/...

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!