Allow comment on audio quality, to address the problem of noise created by digital watermarks

Some record companies have been embeedding their media with a digital watermark. Such watermarks ideally should be inaudible, however this does not often seem to be the case, and such watermarks indeed produce audible artifacts during playback. See  http://www.mattmontag.com/music/universals-audible-watermark . The artifacts created by watermarking are typically in the high-mid spectrum, where they create a annoying and grating audio texture. Its almost not even a sound, rather a sensation created by a certain pattern of frequencies. But its a sonic sensation that, when heard, we know should not be in the music. It is certainly not the intent of the artists that such artifacts be in their music. 

My suggestion is to add an "audio quality rating" parameter for each track. Users typically will set their audio quality as high as they can, but perhaps only those who use "extreme quality" (Vorbis q9) audio should participate. This rating system would give record companies a quantitiative review of their watermarking systems, and should motivate them to improve their watermarking technologies. We pay Spotify for a premium service, and often watermarks degrade the quality of that service. Spotify should be on the side of the end-user, to distribute music files which are of good quality. Watermarking should be transparent. 

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted over 1 year ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos. In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again!

Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Casual Listener

I agree on these issues, but an audio quality rating option isn't the best idea for the fact that people who listen with free earphones / crap equipment will just rate the songs as sounding good, even although the songs sound crap! With spotify premium, logic tells me that the average customer will set their spotify to 320kbps even if they use crap little speakers or free earphones. Yesterday I was watching video reviews of audiophile quality turntables for vinyl and people were listening to them with little computer speakers. I don't trust a lot of people to rate "good quality" from "bad quality". People are all for the flac streaming and the largest file sizes etc, but they don't seem to understand that if you convert crap audio quality into lossless, then you get crap audio quality out.

It would be better if spotify lobbied universal to remove the watermarking, as spotify has it's own built in DRM system anyway. Failing that, spotify could easily use an algorithm to identify the problem tracks and present it in a column "contains watermark*

I have a few ideas for audio quality here, I don't understand why they're not more popular.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/BETTER-AUDIO-QUALITY-LOUDNESS-WAR/idi-p/124162

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted over 1 year ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos. In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again!

Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!