Allow mobile app to fetch track from local network if track is stored on computer

I have over 100gb available on the PC on which I have Spotify installed. I'd like to be able to store tracks/playlists locally on that PC and then stream them using the Android (both share the same local network). This would presumably allow for less server traffic.

If a track I wanted to play on my Android wasn't on the Android itself, or if it wasn't on my PC's hard drive, only then would the file be retrieved from the server.

There's no benefit to me personally in this type of setup, but it would, I would guess, lower costs if enough people used this setup.

I couldn't find this posted anywhere, and I also searched the general forums. I know P2P isn't implemented for Android, but I wouldn't consider this true p2p... just a local implementation.

This idea has been submitted more than 1 year ago but unfortunately hasn't gained enough kudos during that time (10 kudos/year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, this idea will be closed for now. Note that this does not mean the idea has been declined by Spotify.

Please feel free to re-post this idea if you still feel you want this implemented. With a little change in presentation, maybe this time it will gain the necessary support from the community.

Comments
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28

Hey!

I'm not quite sure, but do you refer to the same as in this idea?

smelico
Community Legend

That post seems to be referring to synching.  I'm suggesting being able to stream files from the PC to the Android without synching.  I have a lot more space on my PC's hard drive than I do SD storage on my Android, so it would be nice to be able to take advantage of that extra storage while on my Android.

For example, I could download 50 playlists to my PC. These would be playlists I don't have on my Android due to lack of space.  The playlists would likely be retrieved via P2P and not direct conection to Spotify's servers.  Then when I want to listen to those files on my Android, I stream them from the PC instead of streaming from Spotify's servers.  No downloading and saving to the Android. Just local streaming.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28

Alright got ya! Thanks for clearing it up. ;)

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea

Fred
Community Legend
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

This idea has been submitted more than 1 year ago but unfortunately hasn't gained enough kudos during that time (10 kudos/year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, this idea will be closed for now. Note that this does not mean the idea has been declined by Spotify.

Please feel free to re-post this idea if you still feel you want this implemented. With a little change in presentation, maybe this time it will gain the necessary support from the community.