Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Android Widget

Having a home screen widget for Android would be really nice. All other media players have one on Android so it'd be great to see that in Spotify too. It'd make things so much easier to just be able control to Spotify from your home screen instead of swiping down for the notification bar or opening the app. It's really simple functionality so please can you add it.

Updated on 2019-09-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this idea in the Community.

We’re excited to let you know the Android Widget is back. To get listening, make sure you’re on the latest version of the app and Spotify will show in the widget menu on your device. The widget is now resizable too and some stability issues have been fixed. 

2019-09-09.jpg

We appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

Comments
nvx

Bring it back! My main way of controlling the app.

Why would you do this? Any why wasn't it in the changelog? This way i I could have chosen whether to update. Explain the changes.

Dadun

I was using widget every single day. How can You remove something that is used by so many?

Add new and then remove old- is it so complicated?

I won't wait for long before I switch Spotify because of that... 

dshields63

BRING BACK THE WIDGET FOR ANDROID!!

Instead of removing it how about updating the widget so we can customize its appearamce. Some of us prefer Android because of the customization. 

MrSh1k1

As usual, Spotify playing asinine games.

Who in the everliving inferno decided removing the widget was a good idea? Especially with NOT telling customers the reason why? And don't you come at me with "we made a post about it" -- that post gives NO EFFING JUSTIFICATION WHATSOEVER and YOU KNOW IT. 

Bring back the **bleep** widget. It was the ONE thing that made your product usable, especially with how trash your library can be in my country. 

Super_Bob

Just adding my name to the growing list of people annoyed with this change. The widget was the main way I interacted with this app as it reduced the number of button presses needed to interact with the controls and didn't need me to fire up the main app. Also I disliked the pull down notification controls because everyone is trying to get in on that menu meaning it is a cluttered mess of apps vying for attention.

With the widget my music controls were in the exact place I wanted them and I could use them without looking at my screen.

SteveErrey

Crazy. What's the reason to remove a feature that people use on a daily basis? What kind of Product Owner makes a decision to remove a feature that makes the product worse in the eyes of the users?

Crazy.

Wasiol

This is utter nonsense. Why in the world would you do this? 

I am also seriously considering canceling my paid subscription and it is a family one. 

If you gave at leadt one REASONABLE reason for removing it but all you did is "we take removing features very seriously. Here's how you can easily still operate Spotify blah blah blah...". No. It's not as if the widget would still be there AND you didn't give ANY REASON why you removed it. People are definitely not happy with your moves, Spotify... Stop treating your customers like idiots 

DrWhodini

I've already cancelled my subscription. 1 click or a half-dozen clicks/swipes - erm...!
It's hardly a worldwide catastrophe, but I'll take my 9.99 elsewhere!

jesterinou

That was the feature that was missing on ios and that iphone users were craving for. We used it everyday, that is so much easier when you are driving... Please give us back the widget, or we will consider go to another service which has it.

SeanStephen

Why would you think removing a vital feature is a step forward? Not sure who runs your ideas team but perhaps they need removing. 

Return the widget or I take my family account for 6 years to another company! One that understands the value of widgets.