[Android][Radio] Bring back Playlist Radio on Android app

The Playlist is a very special collection to base a Radio on, unlike Song, Artist or Album, since none of these represent a personal music choice the way a Playlist do. The Playlist Radio is therefore unique among Radios in Spotify, and it's removal from the Android app took away a combination of personalization, situation and variation that no other option provides. 

It has been there, and should be easy to bring back. I'm sure a lot of loyal users would be happy to get this back. 

Updated on 2018-12-23

Hey @runoff

A similar idea has also been suggested here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Radio-Bring-back-Playlist-Radio-context-me...

Please vote for it, and add a comment there, so it may be considered. Any update on the matter should be posted there.

For more info on how the Ideas Board works, click here. :)

Comments
Jengas2018

I just got done talking with a customer service rep about this feature. I agree that this is probably the best way featured on the app to introduce users to new songs that are similar to what they enjoy listening to but aren't all confined to a singular artist or song. For the time being, the only other way I could see to get this is to enable "Autoplay" in the settings and skip to the last track of your playlist and hit play. It's cumbersome, but it allows a similar playlist to begin once your final track ends.

runoff
Regular

That's a poor replacement. Cumbersome and no thumbs to tailor it.

Jengas2018

I agree, but there's nothing else we can do right now except make do with fewer features. I still can't figure out why this was done. The rep told me it was to make the app more streamlined and easier to use, but I don't think removing radio really accomplished that.

Anyway, I voted your suggestion up in hopes it gets more visibility. The rep also forwarded my feedback in wanting in returned. It's hard to say what effect if any it will have, but I hope the developers see this. 

runoff
Regular

We can at least hope many people vote to bring it back. ;-)

MohamedB
Casual Listener

Bring it back 😭

Jengas2018

So I found a workaround while googling about this. In your library, go to stations, then "add new station", then in the search bar, type in the name of your playlist. Any custom playlist you make will be the first hit shown. You can access the playlist radio that way. 

runoff
Regular

@Jengas2018

Have you actually tried that on the latest Android app? It does not work or make sense. There is no "add new station" or search bar in the "Stations" page under "Your library".

Jengas2018

Yeah. I mentioned earlier today I spoke with a service rep about this. One of the first things we did was reinstall the app after fully clearing the data. I'm using the latest version. No doubt about it.

On the bottom of the screen, "Your Library" is rightmost of three options. After clicking that, at the top of the screen reading downward is "Made for You", "Playlists", and "Stations". You want that third option.

I'm using an android phone. I dunno if that's relevant.

I just noticed that the wording I used was a little off. It actually says "Create New Station" when you go into the station page. I mean, it basically means the same thing, so I don't know if you're disputing that or if you can't find the station page under your library. But it's there.

runoff
Regular

I have "Your Library" and "Stations" as described, but there is not "Create new station" or any search bar in that screen showing your Stations. 

What's your app version?

Jengas2018

8.4.84.874 is my app version. Can you share a screenshot of your "stations" page? You won't get a search bar until you click on that big plus sign to the left of the "create new station" button.