[Android] Redesign to fit the Material Design Guidelines

Hi guys,

I've been using the Android app for a bit. To be honest, the UI feels a bit dated and doesn't really fit the Holo design guidelines which you can find here. One example of a really nice redesign is attached to this post.

Thanks for considering this.

EDIT: Now that Lollipop has been released along with the Material Design Guidelines, I think it would be a good idea to update the UI to fit these guidelines. A nice redesign is now attached to this post.

original.png

Updated on 2017-08-29

Hey everyone. This idea has been marked as "Not Right Now" since 2014 and today we're marking it as "Case Closed". 

To ensure Spotify feels familiar across all the different platforms and moments in peoples lives we work hard to ensure the experience feels like Spotify everywhere first, which means we follow our UI guidelines and would not follow the material design guidelines like for like.

However we are always sensitive to the nuances of the platform guidelines and work hard to balance the familiarity of the platform with the familiarity of Spotify.

We appreciate all your feedback, but we want to be transparent about the fact that this won't be fully implemented. Keep your eye on the Ideas Board for other announcements about idea we can implement for all of you.

Comments
Itseliote
Still nothing...
Ensifolk

I mean seriously, I love Spotify - But it did not inherit the materiald design by any means...

The app looks ugly and dim ! When will we ever have a real Material Design ?

Spotify
Spotify
Status changed to: Not Right Now
Updated: 2016-08-05

Hey @i077! Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange with your feedback. While we're always updating and improving the Android app, we don't have plans for these specific design changes. We're marking this as 'Not Right Now' but this idea is still open for more votes and comments with feedback. Thanks!

Methix

Come on, make those iOS lovers drool over Android!

dsdebastiani

Inspired by an idea of Idham Ibrahim user - [Mobile] Sidebar: Relocation of Username and Icons - and Material Design guidelines, I'd like to suggest a new design for navigation menu.

spotify_menu.png
cclawrence
Roadie

That concept is really great. Much needed. So much better than the terrible-ness we have now. Needs to happen ASAP. @meahtenoha I don't know what your position is at Spotify and on the Android Developent team, but you should be embarrassed. Your app falls short of being a good Android app period, let alone one that comes anywhere close to the iOS version. Saying "not right now" when these guidelines have been out for almost two years is ridiculous. For what reason? Why wouldn't you want to have an appealing,  functional and easy-to-use app? The app is none of those as of now. Quit with all the "we update the app so much, we're just not doing this thing." Y'all do so little it's insane. Do something for real. And especially stop with all the "bug fixes."

user-removed
Not applicable

@cclawrenceI totally agree with you!

hencoappel

Looks like a great design! Fits in with the general UI much more!

gecman

this is the kind of punchline that kills innovation even tho spotify interface is no good

gravyghost

This should be Material Design. Period.