[Android] Redesign to fit the Material Design Guidelines

Hi guys,

I've been using the Android app for a bit. To be honest, the UI feels a bit dated and doesn't really fit the Holo design guidelines which you can find here. One example of a really nice redesign is attached to this post.

Thanks for considering this.

EDIT: Now that Lollipop has been released along with the Material Design Guidelines, I think it would be a good idea to update the UI to fit these guidelines. A nice redesign is now attached to this post.

original.png

Updated on 2017-08-29

Hey everyone. This idea has been marked as "Not Right Now" since 2014 and today we're marking it as "Case Closed". 

To ensure Spotify feels familiar across all the different platforms and moments in peoples lives we work hard to ensure the experience feels like Spotify everywhere first, which means we follow our UI guidelines and would not follow the material design guidelines like for like.

However we are always sensitive to the nuances of the platform guidelines and work hard to balance the familiarity of the platform with the familiarity of Spotify.

We appreciate all your feedback, but we want to be transparent about the fact that this won't be fully implemented. Keep your eye on the Ideas Board for other announcements about idea we can implement for all of you.

Comments
Kodax_ShC

I would love to see Spotify follow material design.

Sternreisender

I can't wait for Spotify to be redesigned to Material Design guidelines to look great on Android 

user-removed
Not applicable

tired of spotify being the only app i use that does not fit material guidelines. it just sticks out too much, especially with the black notification bar widget.

Fr3aK

Not every single app out there should use the Material Design.

user-removed
Not applicable

@Fr3aK Never the less, the UI and the widget are totally **bleep**.

kabouzeid

The Android app definetely needs a huge improvement. The current UI/UX is just horrible, doesn't even know where to start.

RokuCelebration

I definetly agree with the design of this!

calfilmmaker

it still looks more modern than the official Spotify app even though this design is two years old

user-removed
Not applicable

Oh God, yes please! Redesign it!!! 

user-removed
Not applicable

From my point of view, the Android Deezer App looks so much better than Spotify on Android OR iOS. Additionally, I can't understand why the iOS app is so much more feature-rich, although it is the same service. Honestly, the Android app looks half finished and not lovingly designed.
Saying that they update the App regulary to provide the best user-experience is not satisfying!