Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android][Your Library] Find Local Files on SD Cards

I am a new Spotify Premium user, and so far have been loving the experience. However, as many community pages, forums and whatnot will tell me, the Local Files feature could use improvement in some areas.

My idea relates only to being able to play local files from my Android device (a Huawei P-Smart). The issue is that the phone's internal storage is not that large, so I have been using a 16GB SD card for my music for years. Now that I have Spotify, and most of my music from my SD card is available on Spotify, I do not need that much storage for my Local Files, but I still need enough that I don't want to store it on my internal storage (about 1.2 GB). However, Spotify's Local Files feature refuses to find my music on my SD card anymore. It worked for 1 day (the first time I used it), recognizing and allowing me to play all of these files, but now, all of the songs are greyed out and it cannot locate them. 

My suggestion is to set up the mobile app like the desktop app, where it asks you to set an external file location so that it looks in the right place, or else just have some sliders or tick-boxes to tell Spotify where to look for local files (e.g. Internal Storage or SD Card). I see no reason why my app isn't searching my SD card for my music.

At the very least, an article or announcement from Spotify stating where the mobile app will be able to find my music would be very helpful. If it is just not possible to implement the above ideas or to get Spotify to check my SD card, I could set up my phone to save my photos and other documents to my SD card instead, so I can store my local files on my internal storage.

Updated on 2022-07-10

Hey @Cygma 

Your Idea has been submitted a while ago, and unfortunately hasn't gathered enough votes (50 votes within 3 months) to keep it active in the Exchange. Be sure to know that this does not mean that your Idea has been declined by Spotify.

Don't worry, your Idea will still be able to gain more votes, and may get a Live Idea status if it receives enough of them.

For more info on how the Ideas Board works, click here. 🙂

Comments
Alex
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2022-04-11

Hello @Cygma,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Sebax_aka_walker

Today i wrote an idea about launching a Spotify Music Player ( a DAP ), and your idea is something basic, because many people bought music and some songs aren't in Spoty database. 

osornios
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2022-07-10

Hey @Cygma 

Your Idea has been submitted a while ago, and unfortunately hasn't gathered enough votes (50 votes within 3 months) to keep it active in the Exchange. Be sure to know that this does not mean that your Idea has been declined by Spotify.

Don't worry, your Idea will still be able to gain more votes, and may get a Live Idea status if it receives enough of them.

For more info on how the Ideas Board works, click here. 🙂