[Android][Your Library][Other] Download delay

Might want to grab a cup of coffee or tea before you read it might be a long waffle or just scroll to the bottom to get to the meat of the topic (might miss reason)...

I have had this issue pretty much since I started the subscription for Spotify, and that is the issue of timings for the application upon launch. At launch, Spotify downloads any new updates to the song or whatever it does to keep the library up to date and this does greatly hinder the overall performance of the application for less suitable devices that do not have the ability of performance capabilities such as a desktop environment where it can (in most cases) do all start up tasks in one fell swoop.

Now the issue at hand is that trying to launch the application, download any new songs, notifications, announcements and or anything else that requires a form of refresh can be a little too demanding on the devices with ARM processers as they are not as powerful than the desktop counterpart. The home page is fine to refresh but downloading the library (music downloaded to be rechecked and redownloaded) can be a bit of an issue at launch as it loads the core application files (files that make Spotify run or allow special features) first. Download starts at the same time as launch for which I had found, nearly causing application hangs (app does not respond for a set period of time to user interaction usually causing app not responding dialog) or I get just a black screen after I start the app after it shows the spotify logo, and I should mention I am an advanced user and understand the process that takes place.
And what I would like to see as a possible feature for Spotify is to delay library downloads at start up for a period of time the user declares / decides up to 30s (or auto-detected by device specs if app checks for such for performance matters). I have in my phone, developer options enabled and have the option "Show all ANR errors" (App Not Responding), and I see Spotify stopped responding dialogs at least 2 times each start up (and click wait each time or disappears on its own once detected app is no longer in that state (application state example: idle, wait, minimized, etc.)) and I believe that this is the issue that plagues the application or causes many issues or crashes (if anyone else is having this issue).

The TL;DR is that there needs to be a feature to delay library downloads at start up (up to 30s) to increase performance of the application so that the application can go to the user's home feed and to allow application's core files to load and not hinder the loading or other issues that may arise from the application. 

Updated on 2021-08-07

Hey @FenrirWolff 

Your Idea has been submitted a while ago, and unfortunately hasn't gathered enough votes (50 votes within 3 months) to keep it active in the Exchange. Be sure to know that this does not mean that your Idea has been declined by Spotify.

Don't worry, your Idea will still be able to gain more votes, and may get a Live Idea status if it receives enough of them.

For more info on how the Ideas Board works, click here. 🙂

Comments
Alex
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-06-11

Hello and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

osornios
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2021-08-07

Hey @FenrirWolff 

Your Idea has been submitted a while ago, and unfortunately hasn't gathered enough votes (50 votes within 3 months) to keep it active in the Exchange. Be sure to know that this does not mean that your Idea has been declined by Spotify.

Don't worry, your Idea will still be able to gain more votes, and may get a Live Idea status if it receives enough of them.

For more info on how the Ideas Board works, click here. 🙂