Artist Payment: Pay by listener and not by amount of plays

Hi!
My idea sprung from recent news that some big artists are leaving Spotify, due to not being paid enough for their songs. Currently, the artists are being paid a few cents per listen, which doesn't create enough cash for the artists at present.
However, my idea takes from the system that iTunes have- iTunes charge 99c per song, which you can listen to an infinite amount of times. So, why not pay the artist 99c per USER that listens to the song, therefore they get the same amount of revenue from Spotify as they do from iTunes, if not more.
I hope my idea is a good one, please support it if you find this would work!

Updated: 2015-11-04

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

0 Likes
Comments
MichaelW
Community Legend

I don't know much details about what Spotify earns and what artists get, but Spotify says the artists get nearly 70% of the revenue.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea

Marked as new idea and added "Pay by listener and not by amount of plays" in the title to make it clearer and easier to find via search. ;)

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea
Updated: 2015-11-04

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!