Backspace to go back

I have a very simple idea: allow to go back in the Spotify browser by pressing backspace on your keyboard.

This is a small feature, but it annoys me everytime I have to move my mouse to the upper-left with my trackpad after I already pressed backspace to try to go back.

I think people can use the browser in Spotify more efficiently with this small feature, because a lot of the browser already supports keyboard navigation.

Update: This idea has been submitted again here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Desktop-Navigation-Backspace-to-go-to-previous-pag...

This idea has been submitted more than 2 years ago but unfortunately hasn't gained enough kudos during that time (10 kudos/year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, this idea will be closed for now. Note that this does not mean the idea has been declined by Spotify.

Please feel free to re-post this idea if you still feel you want this implemented. With a little change in presentation, maybe this time it will gain the necessary support from the community.

Related Ideas

Comments
Richard
Roadie

Hey qurben, thanks for the idea. 

I'm sure this would be technically possible and match up with keyboard behaviour in some browsers. But the backspace key does already have a job, in the Mac version at least. Pressing backspace serves as a delete function for tracks/playlists.

So having it double up as a means of browsing might be a bit confusing.

That said, there is already a useful keyboard shortcut for going back and forth: Alt-Left/Right in Windows and Cmd-Alt-Left/Right for Macs.

Check out all the shortcuts at http://www.spotify.com/help/keyboard-shortcuts/

qurben
Casual Listener

I think it makes more sense to bind the delete key to deleting and the backspace key to going back.

I don't know why there is both del and backspace for deleting on mac, but I think backspace to go back would be used more often than deleting.

Richard
Roadie

I suspect it might be because some Mac keyboards don't have a delete key. At least, that's the case on the keyboard I'm using.

qurben
Casual Listener

I'd rather have back than delete, but that is my opinion.

Would it be possible to allow users to choose the keys they prefer?

Peter__
Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea

Changed back to "new idea" status - once this idea reaches 100+ kudos the Spotify staff will review it again and decide on a new status. ~ Peter

lcdvscrt

More than 2 years but no action.

Is it so difficult to assign different keyboard shortcuts in PC and MAC versions?

Because it is very annoying to move cursor every time for such an easy action. 

Fred
Community Legend
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Update: This idea has been submitted again here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Desktop-Navigation-Backspace-to-go-to-previous-pag...

This idea has been submitted more than 2 years ago but unfortunately hasn't gained enough kudos during that time (10 kudos/year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, this idea will be closed for now. Note that this does not mean the idea has been declined by Spotify.

Please feel free to re-post this idea if you still feel you want this implemented. With a little change in presentation, maybe this time it will gain the necessary support from the community.