[Browse] Show both local-language title and original-language title when that data exists

This idea could apply to many languages and locales, but I will use the combination I am familiar with.

A large number of Mandarin songs have Hanzi titles and English titles, where the titles are not literal translations of each other. It appears that this data is in fact stored, as you can see in this example search:

Screenshot_2021-04-01_15-49-49.png

The song 「玫瑰少年」 ("Rose Boy"), the first result, has been indexed for search under its English title, "Womxnly", as well. Please display this official English title! I don't care how it is formatted in the title field, just that it is there.

Conversely, searching for 蔡依林 brings up the same artist entity shown in the above query, which is still named Jolin Tsai, so that must be indexed with both renditions of her name too.

I understand that this data is supplied by record labels and that Spotify cannot proactively ask for it or generate it. I am only asking that the data which does already exist is displayed somehow.

All this could theoretically happen for languages with the same character set, e.g. English and French (don't know about popular music, but there must be film soundtracks where it applies). It may not be common, though.

Note: I am not asking for any sort of auto-translation, or for the gloss of 「玫瑰少年」 up there to be indexed in any way; I'm just clarifying that the original title has a different literal meaning.

Updated on 2021-07-01

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos. In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion!

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here.

Comments
maeveynot
Regular

I don't seem to be able to remove the "Desktop" tag, but that is just the platform I am on currently. This applies to all platforms.

Elena
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-04-03

Hey @maeveynot,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Luan
Rock Star 14
Rock Star 14
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2021-07-01

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos. In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion!

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here.