Clickable Genre Tags on Artist's Page

It would be nice if Spotify tagged artists with their genres/styles. It would be easier to browse around genres (because most of time playlists aren't that successful on it) and even listen to an specific genre radio station, such as hip-hop or chillout music.

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated: 2016-07-28

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Need more information
Updated: 2015-07-30

Hello!
Could you describe your idea a bit more? Would those tags be visible like on the artist page?
Or just for Spotify's backend (which exists already, especially since EchoNest has been acquired)?

chipzs
Regular

Hi Marco. Yeah, the tags would be visible on the artists pages. And they would be clickable, redirecting to the genre page, showing several artists who are also tagged under that genre.

I know Spotify has a tab "genre and moods", but i feel it is too generic, and the artists shown under let's say hmm... hip-hop, they are way to popular, i wish we could explore and discover more not so popular artists under a genre tag.

But nevermind i feel like the idea is not so good as i thought at first.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea
Updated: 2015-07-30

Marked as new idea and edited the title slightly to make it a bit clearer and easier to find via search. ;)

Zil_ch

I was going to post the same idea until I found @chipzs post (it IS a good idea!).

I've discovered a lot of new music by listening to some of Spotify's "The Sound of [x genre]" playlists and then clicking through the additional tags listed after "See also the Sounds of..." in the description. For example, The Sound of Glitch includes Warm Drone, Microhouse, Lowercase, etc. I realize those are links to other Spotify playlists, but if artists could be tagged with their genres, I could find other artists in the same/similar/related genre(s).

I'm sure this would take an insane amount of work to tag artists a) accurately and b) with all relevant genres, especially if they're publicly viewable and searchable. Off the top of my head, there are a few ways genre tags might be used:

1. Adding a genre section to artist pages: a more concise version of my suggestion.
  2. Genre pages in the Discover section: I love chipzs' idea for genre pages. I wasn't thinking along those lines exactly, but it's a great idea.
  3. Genre-based Radio: Also mentioned by chipzs and also a great idea.
  4. Genre sorting within users' saved music: I think I saw another idea post about sorting your own music according to genre. That's less appealing for my needs, but I'd imagine Spotify already "tags" users with genres in order to generate their Discover Weekly playlists (or a similar type function in its Discover Weekly algorithm). 

I was just planning on adding a kudos until I got carried away. In any case, my two cents, FWIW.

IMP

Since you have such a large library, I find Discover would be much more usefull if I could also define a genre I am interested in at that particular time. My listening preferences vary widely so sifting though all of the <If you liked this> takes too long. It would be much smarter if I could qualify my discovery by a few qualifying options including genre. Then you could use artists I listened to in that genre as a qualifier as well as alow me to truly discover new artists. I would also like to sort new releases by genre as well. Looking through new releases can also be a good way of discovering new music.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated: 2016-07-28

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!