Compare Playlists and show differences

Compare Playlists and show differences

I know that an idea already exists called "Compare Playlists", which links to "Crow-sourced Playlists": http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Crowd-sourced-playlist-song-suggestions/idi-p/192392

Although I do like that idea as well, it only discussed "suggesting" new songs for your playlist. But my idea differs from that topic. I want to be able to take any 2 playlists and do a side by side comparison. Show me the differences. Show me which songs exist in one playlist that don't exist in the other. And visa versa. Show me which songs are in BOTH playlists. Show me which songs are "starred" in one playlist that are not in the other. And visa versa. Show me which songs are "starred" in both playlists.

There may be songs in one playlist that I do not yet have in the other but I may want in there. A simple "suggestion" feature would not necessarily capture the songs I want to add.

This comparison should not simply be the name of a song by an artists since there can be multiple releases of the same song. I would want to see if one playlist has a different release of a song than another playlist.

The comparison tool should have options on how to sort the comparison, by artists, song title, "starred" status, etc. Differences should appear highlighed in some way.

Here is a picture to prove proof of concept: http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff199/detmer14/Screenshot-4_29_20139_54_13AM.png

Again, this picture is only for proof of concept using Notepad++ comparison tool. The spotify comparison would have columns indicating track title, artist, "starred" status, year, etc. The comparison would work across the board on these columns. And the comparison view could be sorted by each column - meaning I could sort by "starred" status to show me at the top of the comparison view only the song differences between the two playlists of the songs that are not "starred".

Notice the highlights in the picture. There are indications that a song exists in a playlist but not another when it is highlighted. In the playlist that does NOT have the song, a black gray placeholder is added to show that indeed the song is not in the 2nd playlist. There are also highlight differences between the 2 playlists, so I know it's this playlist or that playlist that DOES have the song, and I don't have to guess.

This would be an extremely useful tool to help us discover new music, refine our own playlists, make sure we don't miss music, potentially remove duplicate entries if desired, etc.

Please share this idea with your friends and have them add kudos to this idea so the Spotify team can begin looking into ways to implement this feature.

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Hi there!

This idea has been submitted more than one year ago but unfortunately hasn’t gained enough kudos during that time (25 kudos/year). In order to keep an overview of the active
ideas in this forum, this idea will be closed for now. Note that this does not mean the idea has been declined by Spotify.

Please feel free to re-post this idea if you still feel you want this implemented. With a little change in presentation, maybe this time it will gain the necessary support from the
community.

Comments
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea

rafi2600

you can do it pretty easilly with Excel.

detmer14
Gig Goer

When I copy playlists from Spotify and paste into a text editor or excel, this is what I get:

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes – Rainbow Connection
The Starting Line – Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now
Relient K – Pirates Who Don't Do Anything, The
Stellar Kart – Be Our Guest
Stellar Kart – A Whole New World
The Lemonheads – Mrs. Robinson

The problem with this method is that it does not show me which release of the song it is. It does not show me which album it is from. It does not show me if I have the song starred or not. It doesn't show any more of the detail that the Spotify playlist view does show.  It would be much more convenient to have this all in one view and to have it in spotify. Believe me, I'm used to using other applications to do what I want to, such as using Notepad++ with its plugins, using Excel, etc. But this would be a great addition to have right inside of Spotify in my opinion.

If I find differences using excel, I can't easily chose songs from one playlist and move them into the other playlist. I would have to search through the one playlist until I found the songs (not knowing it it's the release of the song I want or not), and then drag them to the other playlist. It would be much more effective to have Spotify highlight the differences for me, then I can select the highlighted songs and add them to the other playlist if desired.

Spotify should already have unique identifiers for each individual song and will know if one release of a song is different than  another release of a song. Pretty easy comparison. It may be a little difficult to add functionality of displaying those differences inside of Spotify, but in my opinion, it would be a great bonus - if only for Premium Subscribers.

detmer14
Gig Goer

Starting to get some kudos here. Let your friends know so this gains some priority. I would love to see this feature implemented.

detmer14
Gig Goer

Wouldn't anyone else be interested in this feature? Or am one of the few power users who sees the benefit of a feature like this? Seems to me it would be useful in a lot of ways.

foosball

Definitely think this would be a great feature to have.

foosball

Found this site that helps with listing dupes and comparing playlists : http://thoseannoyingdupes.com/

billycowell
Regular

I used to do this with the STAR feature somewhat. Now that it is gone.  I cannot do it anymore but one could use that system to see what commonalities there were between playlists.  There is no way to do this with the new system.  

So I would take playlist one, STAR the 10 songs in it.  Switch to playlist two and see that there are four songs STARRED and know that the two playlists have four songs in common?  

OviiiOne
Community Legend
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Hi there!

This idea has been submitted more than one year ago but unfortunately hasn’t gained enough kudos during that time (25 kudos/year). In order to keep an overview of the active
ideas in this forum, this idea will be closed for now. Note that this does not mean the idea has been declined by Spotify.

Please feel free to re-post this idea if you still feel you want this implemented. With a little change in presentation, maybe this time it will gain the necessary support from the
community.