[Connect] Allow my own local files to play while connected to a device

I noticed that if I play a playlist on my amplifier at home, connected with my phone through spotify connect, it skips all the local files.

I have a lot of alternative music that that I bought years ago and isn't, and probably never will be, available on spotify.

I can play them on my phone, but on the amp  spotify gives an error saying "you cannot play this while connected to a device".

I'm guessing this is because of some rights issue? Would be nice if it gave some explanation so you don't have to waste googling for answers that I didn't find anyway.

This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2019-09-05

Hey!

Your idea was submitted a while ago and unfortunately didn't receive the amount of kudos needed to stay active in the ideas board (100 Kudos per year). 

In order to keep the Ideas Exchange clearer I'll close this idea for now, but this doesn't mean Spotify rejected this idea.

If you think this is an idea which needs to be implemented, you're welcome to post it in a slightly different form 🙂

Have a nice day!

Luke

Comments
mrfart
Regular

Anybody have any more info on this? And maybe a solution to it?

Rock Star 23
Rock Star 23
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2018-09-04

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

3j_5n-af4vuwl
Casual Listener

Would like to have this function too!

adiulici

It seems that this idea keeps popping up but we can't get enough votes to get it implemented.. That's too bad, because it's a deal breaker feature for quite some users.

Barfuss99

For me this is also a strongly requested feature. I do have a lot of music that is not on Spotify and I would love to listen to nonetheless!

I've recently tried out Deezer and they let me upload my own songs to their cloud, to sync with all my devices and also works with my multi room system!

hortonio

I am SO CLOSE to leaving Google Music / Youtube Music for Spotify but the lack of this feature is a deal breaker. I have several Google Home and Chromecast Audio powered devices around the house setup as a speaker group. I love Spotify's playlists and reliability but there are just a few too many tunes missing from their library. Being able to stream these tunes to the speaker group from a local folder as per every other device would be a great feature. Amazon, Google, Sonos, etc. are ramping up users for muti room streaming. Hoping this feature request gains popularity, would love to finally make the switch!

maximilian_vG

This just can't be true. We are a musical family, my father plays sax professionally and occasionally we children jam with him.

Our whole house is equipped with various sound systems, all of which are accessible via SpottyConnect.

Now we have to regretfully state that we cannot play locally stored recordings of concerts of him and our evenings.

This topic already came up in 2014
https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Spotify-won-t-play-local-files-via-Spotify-Connect/...

Then again in 2016
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Connect-Stream-local-Files-with-Spotify-Connect/idi-p/...

And now in 2018.

Already in 2016 we were at 144 Kudos.

Now it's 2019, it's time to stop waiting for 100 Kudos and FINALLY listen to your customers and supporters!

Basically, all you have to do is unlock this barrier.

Please finally implement this feature.

rgill3079
Casual Listener

This is utterly unbelieveable.  Why would they even consider not implmenting this idea?  "Oh yeah - play your local files - yeah you can play them with Spotify!"  oh - but play them on your actual listening device?  oh no!  It almost renders the idea of being able to play local files totally useless.  I just don't get it.

How many more times asking before we get this feature?   Why throw it out to the community?  Why not just take the initiative, Spotify developers and make playing local files a complete, comprehensive feature?  

ShawnStar
Casual Listener

Spotify. If this is a DRM issue, I will gladly sign a waiver that I own the music because I do, and as many point out there are many non-mainstream artists we would like to listen to in our house.

Spotify connect should play anything a user wants to do.

MaxBox
Casual Listener

I so desperately want to come back to Spotify from GPM, but this single lack of a feature is forcing me to stick with them. I'd even be happy to pay $5 more to attempt to cover extra server costs, I just want to be able to listen to my homebrew Mamma Mia cover.