Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Change Device Name in Device List

We need to be able to configure the display name of devices in the "Devices" list in spotify. This doesnt have to be a feature available on every devices, maybe even a setting only available on the website so it has the most coverage if its an issue implementing it everywhere.

But 

This Phone

DESKTOP-I59JLM2

ECHO-4F0 Speaker

GWDD-PBWETYX

Galaxy S6

As a list sucks. Its a fairly basic usability feature to have that list as

This Phone

Gaming PC

Upstairs Echo

Work

Paula's Phone

Which would make the selection of a device to control/listen on far easier.

Thanks.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
schlimig
Seriously just stop dicking around with all this kudos nonsense and your timelines, and put an input box in the settings which allows you to type in a name. Just do it, it would take all of an hour to implement! It's nonsense like this from big companies which drives users bonkers and to the point of not wanting to use their services!!
jrockerrr

Can't believe this hasn't been addressed. Imagine the CEO of Spotify has all amazon fire TVs in his house and has to connect to various fire tv devices until he connect to the right one.  

What at a brilliant man! Tell your devs to fix it please. Can't be that hard.

2ash274

all fire sticks have the same name!???!! can't find the right one to play your music. I am really ANNOYED now! FIX IT. this is redicilous!

riokab

Id just u get this done asap as lagging will leave spotify behind in the voice control / home automation realm. 

herrzemlin

It‘s a bug! ..please fix this!

schmidtzi

We have 3 Fire TVs at home. So when opening "Connect to a Device", I see 3 times "Amazon Fire TV" and I do not see which one is the correct one (living room, bed room or study room). Each Fire TV of course has an alias name.

So for me it would be a BIG improvement if it will be fixed. In my opinion it's a bug, because other applications show the alias names of the devices instead of only showing the device type...

spotify-og

Was redirected here via the "Amazon firetv names should be shown in connect menu" entry.

While this topic here seems to be not exactly the same I highly recommend that Spotify shows the real names of the FireTV devices and not the generic "Amazon Fire TV" label as this is MASSIVELY confusing when you have multiple devices in your household and configured the names on each but cannot see them on the network!

ianc9

Please consider this feature

DaveG114

Spotify, you need to add this to your timeline.  It's clearly an issue causing annoyance to lots of users.  Family of 4 each with a Firestick.  It's ridiculously hit and miss trying to connect to the correct device.

Please give this some attention

Davsb44

It's absurd that this hasn't been fixed. It would probably be a simple thing to implement. If only a senior executive at Spotify had this issue it would be solved in less then a day!