Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Change Device Name in Device List

We need to be able to configure the display name of devices in the "Devices" list in spotify. This doesnt have to be a feature available on every devices, maybe even a setting only available on the website so it has the most coverage if its an issue implementing it everywhere.

But 

This Phone

DESKTOP-I59JLM2

ECHO-4F0 Speaker

GWDD-PBWETYX

Galaxy S6

As a list sucks. Its a fairly basic usability feature to have that list as

This Phone

Gaming PC

Upstairs Echo

Work

Paula's Phone

Which would make the selection of a device to control/listen on far easier.

Thanks.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
mkenne11

I have Spotify connected to three FireTV Sticks.  I like Spotify.  I like Firestick.  I am offended that Spotify can't tell the difference between Firesticks.  All of my firesticks are listed in Spotify devices as "Amazon FireTV Stick." It usually takes me three tries to pick the right one, because they aren't even locked in a certain order in the list. To throw an extra funness on top of everyone else's issues: one of the three firesticks is at my boyfriend's house 500 miles away. Usually when I get home from visiting him, I find that my TV at home has been turned on because when the firestick at my home wakes up, it turns the TV on, which is a nice feature, except not in this situation.  Please let me rename the devices or use the assigned names I have given them.  I googled this issue today thinking I am an idiot for not being able to figure this out, and I seriously can't believe how long this thread has been going on without resolution.

Yroc
  • 5 fire TV s here.  Totally sucks connecting to them until I find the right one.  I hear music playing downstairs, then the back room, then the front room...ah finally this one is in the kitchen where I am!!!
MikeAndSal

I'd like to upvote this issue again. It is a absolute pain not knowing which device is which from the list provided by the Spotify app. 

Spotify developers should try using their app in a real life environment. Last night, while watching a film on Netflix via the Amazon Firestick, Spotify kept interrupting the film and started playing some of my better half's music. It wasn't her fault, we have three Firesticks in the house and no way to know which of the three devices spotify is connecting to. Frustrating for her and **bleep** annoying for me when trying to watch a film. Please, please, please add this issue to your timeline. It's a UI nightmare. 

schmidtzi

I absolutely agree! I'm really upset of this, we have 3 Fire TVs and I really do not understand why this issue won't be solved with high priority!

riokab

I just read an article about Spotifys main execs not understanding what their business/product is and am convinced they'll be a forgotten Wiki page in a few years. I thougtht they were the streaming solution to move me away from static files but i jumped too fast. I assume a big cloud player will pounce in the next few years, filling the gaps that we feel at the moment. 

fmark
Agreed 100%. Absolutely needed feature. 
2ash274
Amazon music has already pounced and these guys will be joining block
buster soon
Kwclubb

But the fire tv stick already has a name. Even Alexa recognizes the name and displays the name in the Alexa app. This is not an Alexa setting it is a fire tv setting and can be seen in the fire tv settings as well as Alexa app. This should not be considered an enhancement but a bug I Spotify app. I cannot distinguish between my sons fire tv on his room and my fire tv in the master bedroom. I often decide not to play on my tv for fear of playing on his tv instead. Not cool and needs to be fixed. 

maxspeitel

It's time for this idea. Having same named devices is not an acceptable solution! 

Can't play music in bedroom when my gf is sleeping, but I never know which Amazon FireTV will react. Either Bed- or Livingroom.

chrishelms

Please fix, I'm in the same boat