Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Multiple Speakers / Devices simultaneously

Now that connect is becoming available it would be nice to be able to connect to multiple outputs at the same time. For example I have 2 connect compatable speakers... it'd be great to have these in different parts of my house and be able to stream the same music to both.

I would suggest a maximum of 3 devices at the same time. This will allow for most scenarios to be catered for without streatching the bandwidth too much that it will degrade quality.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we aren't able to prioritize it and don't have any immediate plans to implement this. We will let you know if this changes in the future.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on why your idea has been closed can be found here.

Comments
bad_dolphin
Thanks for your input! For right now, too much of life is spent dealing with new or “update is better!” software, so we’re sticking with Spotify, but good to know!
rstcologne

Sad. This would have been a change actually improving Spotify. Instead developer capacity was prioritised to force feed us with podcasts (they are prominently everywhere), make shuffle default in playgrounds (braindead) and messed up the artist page (too many clicks to see all albums) and all the other little annoyances that make the user experience worse and worse. 

Matt1710

I'm pretty happy this issue and also getting rid of other features I used, I did the step to switch my premium music provider. Since then I did not even use Spotify free anymore. Thank you!

oldseeker

Same here.

I switched to YouTube Music instead of Spotify when I realized just how little of a f$*% Spotify gives. Never looked back. I thought I'd have issues with the algorithm, but so far it's been just as good as Spotify's, if not a little better. I feared I might have a problem transferring all my playlists, but there are wonderful 3rd party services that do that automatically for you, for free or for a few dollars. All in all, moving from Spotify to YouTube Music was easier than I thought and now I get to sleep at night knowing I'm not supporting an blatantly despicable company.

The final straw was the realization Spotify simply does not care about anything except their bottom line. No social responsibility whatsoever. They care not for their users (example: emails go unanswered, community posts are ignored for years and then five years later given the corporate runaround instead of a proper answer), not for their users' wishes (see the countless valid and easily implemented requests that have been just sitting here for years and years now, including our very reasonable request to let users choose the location and/or the size of the cache for the Spotify windows client) and not even for the lives of other fellow human beings around the world (the whole Joe Rogan fiasco, i.e. "We make too much money off this podcast, so even if it's distributing false and dangerous information, we'd rather keep the money than save lives").

Break free from Spotify, switch to any other service today.

0-wor_yb8pian
Joe Rogan is the only genuine try to actually tie the country together. Your head space is doing the opposite. Quit thinking fact-checkers are unbiased with no spin and don’t use previous bunk to validate new bunk. Oh and they know how to write in order to flatter you and themselves because they live in the same protected echo chamber. Get over yourself. Joe Rogan is the only thing good about Spotify. How they screw over artists, podcasters, and sell off the rights to put shackles on their service so they don’t provide support for multiroom control is the real issue.
Andy_P
Which provider did you move to?
I need to stream from whatever service to a Chromecast Audio and to a
Roberts Radio with Spotify Connect. Can any other service do both of those?
formfranska

Can't believe this suggestion have been closed. Spotify obviously doesn't care about its customers.

m128723ie

The reasoning is obvious. Their coders just aren't good enough... Can't handle it.

rstcologne

The solution is to ditch Spotify and use Roon with

Roon? Really? A massively overpriced subscription software?

If you want to go down that path and use something else to drive the speakers, LMS and squeezelite based devices are the better option. Build it once and use it forever. At least you don’t lose your multi room setup should Roon decide to hike the prices up again to a point where you don’t agree anymore to the rip off. 

FrostyOfTheNort

Nah, it's not that their coders aren't capable enough.  No doubt they have the ability and technology and time to do it.

By now it's clear that there is some other reason.  I'm certain that it's a matter of will.  Do they care?  I guess not.  At least not enough to implement something that so many have been asking for.  Until some other service makes it sting Spotify's bottom line, they'll keep ignoring those of us who have been asking for this feature for years.

In the meantime, I've been using Sonos' built-in ability to sync music to multiple Sonos speakers.  That doesn't work with non-Sonos speakers, so it's not a complete solution.  So it's back to Sonos' lack of will to implement this.