Announcements

Having trouble seeing your Wrapped stories? To fix this, update the Spotify app to the latest version.

Find more info on our community FAQ.

[Desktop] Desktop Full Screen feature should have the blurred album art as the background

After subscribing to Spotify Premium, I was excited to try the full screen album art feature that was (unfairly) exclusive to subscribers. Much to my dismay, and a lot of others on to this forum (examples 1, 2, 3), the full screen feature just has a small scaling of the album art against a gray/black background:

theFierceKid_1-1592804052362.png

In my opinion, the bland gradient background does no favors to listeners. This is a missed opportunity to put the full screen feature to good use. With 16x9 displays being common, this feature should use the full display to enhance the artwork and overall theme, colors, and feeling that each piece of album art brings.

My suggestion is simple: instead of the gray/black gradient, enlarge the album art and apply a Gaussian blur to it as the background. This is similar to YouTube's old method of automatic music uploads, which was great. Now that they're switching their upload visuals to just the 1:1 album art, Spotify can and should take advantage of this method.

This is an example I whipped up in GIMP:

Lincoln-fullscreen.png

Lincoln - They Might Be Giants

While a background with just the dominant color is a good idea, a color you may not expect may be automatically picked sometimes. Also, album artwork may have their own gradients that fade from one color to the next, so capturing that through a Gaussian blur is a great idea:

classof3000-fullscreen.png

Class of 3000 - André 3000

If you dig this idea, please upvote so it can be implemented!

Updated on 2022-01-20

Hey! Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.
We've been keeping an eye on this submission for an extended period of time, and it doesn't seem this will reach the votes necessary to put it forward for prioritization.
As such, we're marking this case as closed. This includes any similar suggestions that are received.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More information about it can be found here.

Thanks for your comprehension! 

Comments
Katerina
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2020-06-22

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.

This is a repost of this inactive idea. You might also want to add your support to the following ideas about this:

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Jose_M
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2021-03-23

Hello @theFierceKid!

It looks like your idea was posted a while ago but, unfortunately, it hasn't gathered the minimum amount of votes to stay active in the Ideas Exchange (50 votes in the first 3 months). I'll mark your idea as "Closed - Not Enough Votes". You can learn more on how the Ideas Exchange works here.

Have a nice day 🙂

Luan
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2022-01-20

Hey! Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.
We've been keeping an eye on this submission for an extended period of time, and it doesn't seem this will reach the votes necessary to put it forward for prioritization.
As such, we're marking this case as closed. This includes any similar suggestions that are received.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More information about it can be found here.

Thanks for your comprehension!