[Desktop] Drag & drop Import of local Files

Prior to the 101 update, it was possible to drag local files from the Finder (and even iTunes) into Spotify playlists.

This is no longer the case, and the current local file source mapping is too inefficient (processor intensive/unreliable/no search) to compensate for the lack.

Updated on 2018-06-16

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
kbulmer
the simple reason is $$$
skycop73
Casual Listener

I've been waiting over a year for spotify to bring back the drag and drop function and search.  I'm not waiting much longer.  I just got a new update on jul 4th 2016 and it's still not back.    Fix it soon or lose yet another paying customer.  When are you going to listen to your subscribers?

runealbrigtsen

Please bring this back. I'm stuck on version 0.9 until this is fixed. **bleep**, I'll even do the coding myself if you want. Free of charge. That's how much I need it. 

mjjjf

Is this ever going to be fixed? I've cancelled my subscription last year after this feature was removed and was considering resubscribing recently... looks like I should wait another year or two.

SEKlein
Regular

I'll plan on cancelling my subscription as well before the end of the year if this isn't implemented back into the program. It's been a hastle to listen to new music ever since it's been removed, would rather not deal with it any more.

satori83
Regular

Im surprised this thread hasn't gotten the "Sorry but were still not considering your idea important" statement. I would put more votes on if I could. I too have a large itunes collection and trying to manage music in local files is horrendous. Even Beatport has a free desktop app that manages their entire catalog, and they are a smaller company! Itunes integration and UI definitely need help.

thrusk
Gig Goer

I've temporarily gotten around this annoyance by having a separate "Non-Spotify" folder in my MP3 collection - a subset of only those songs/albums that aren't in the Spotify catalogue. This works for me as instead of the whole collection (which is large and tends to crash Spotify) I can then just add the Non-Spotify folder (which is not so large and doesn't crash Spotify) in its entirety for Spotify to scan and monitor, and then use the (now added) filter function as needed to create playlists. It's still not ideal, and won't address everyone's problems this feature omission has caused but it may help some of you.

borsTiHD
Gig Goer

Still... no change... how long is this a big problem?

Too many years to count. 😠

wellslogan
Casual Listener

What an f'in joke that Spotify still hasn't added this back. Been using a version of the Spotify app from 2014 for the last 2.5 years since they dropped support for drag and drop and metadata editing of local files. Thought to myself today, "hmm... I think I'll check out the latest Spotify Desktop" for the first time since 2014. Imagine my surprise to see they STILL HAVE NOT ADDED THESE FEATURES BACK AFTER THEY REMOVED THEM 3 YEARS AGO. Utterly shocking. Back to the old version I go. 

mjjjf

Looks like no progress on this was made in last 6 months, I guess at this point I should stop holding my breath and find other music service to subscribe to. It's a shame, as Spotify used to be a really great app a couple of years ago.