[Desktop] Edit Local File Information

Spotify has taken away users' ability to easily edit information on any local files (right click local file - edit info), such as adding an artist, album, or editing the title (yes, this comes in useful). 

I've added a screenshot of 2 local songs: the top one had information edited before the update, while the bottom one was just added and I can't add any missing information or change the bizarre title, thanks to Spotify's new update.

Not only is editing information useful for clarity, but it is also key for linking local tracks to Spotify's catalogue. 

If this is affecting you or my unsightly song title bothers you, please give this post kudos! Every little bit helps. Thank you!

32981507326512.JPG

Updated on 2018-08-30

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community and adding your vote to this idea

We're marking this as case closed now, as this isn't something we're looking to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts however, and can confirm they've been passed on to the relevant teams.

If we have anything to share on this in the future, we'll be back in touch here

Thanks

Related Ideas

Comments
beccy1606
Casual Listener

The inability to edit the local file information means many tracks will not sync to my iPhone. It cannot sync tracks whose titles it confuses with other tracks that are already on spotify (e.g. similarly titled and often unavailable). The previous solution was to edit the names, artist, album etc to something else so that it is seen as separate to whatever track it was being confused with. It's now impossible to do this!

I liked having all of my music (including local files that aren't available on spotify) all in the one app, and of course mixed in single playlists, regardless of where they came from. It is a pain to have to listen to local files in iTunes and everything else in Spotify, especially when, for example, you want to have a single playlist for a particular artist! 

So stupid to remove this. Why REMOVE anything? Sure, give us new features, but don't break the old ones in the process, what is the point in that?

Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Not Right Now
Updated: 2015-03-23

Hey everyone, thanks for you continued feedback around the latest Desktop update. We are marking this ideas as 'Not Right Now' since your local files in the Desktop app should just mirror whatever is on your HDD. If you change/ delete something on your HDD it will be mirrored in Spotify. You can of course continue to leave comments and kudos here, thanks!

MattSuda
Community Legend

Workaround:

Check out a program called Mp3tag

It allows you to import the folder will all the local files, and then it will display a view where you can see the tags of all the songs in a column view. You can edit every single tag!

Available for Windows and Mac (Wine)

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

RedDown
Roadie

"Status changed to: Not right now

Hey everyone, thanks for you continued feedback around the latest Desktop update. We are marking this ideas as 'Not Right Now' since your local files in the Desktop app should just mirror whatever is on your HDD. If you change/ delete something on your HDD it will be mirrored in Spotify. You can of course continue to leave comments and kudos here, thanks!"

Wow. This is BASIC functionality that many users can't live without.
TheWanderluster

Status changed to: Not right now

Hey everyone, thanks for you continued feedback around the latest Desktop update. We are marking this ideas as 'Not Right Now' since your local files in the Desktop app should just mirror whatever is on your HDD. If you change/ delete something on your HDD it will be mirrored in Spotify. You can of course continue to leave comments and kudos here, thanks!
...What? This is not the answer to the problem raised, as it only reflects the presence of a file or not. What we want to do it to change the mp3 tags (ID3) within spotify, as it's kind of bothersome to do it outside of the desktop app. Please look at what the original posts shows in the picture, it tells the whole story - and PLEASE reinstall this functionality!
eugeneyero
Regular

by Community Manager Monday - last edited Monday

Status changed to: Not right now

--------> REALLY? Not right now? Here's another prime example of Spotify not giving a darn about their customers. This IDEA page is about things we absolutely NEED and hate about the new update you released (which, lets face it, is a fail in almost all ways). Then you as a Spotify employee come on here and tell us that its not what we need or want, and tell us what this feature should in fact do. Well then, who needs customer satisfaction, right?
Tawaresh

Canceling my subscription next week. Not gonna search through my thousands of songs in one huge list. Very bad idea to remove this feature.

maxshelley

This seems punitive.

From Spotify's response:

your local files in the Desktop app should just mirror whatever is on your HDD

That's fine, howver even changing the artist and song name in iTunes isn't reflected here. I've changed whatever is on my HDD and you're not reflecting those changes, nor allowing me the ability to change it any other way.

ProfessorLyle
Casual Listener

This NEEDS to come back right away.  It's so not cool to remove this critical, albeit small, capability from Spotify.  For what reason was it removed?  Keeping clean playlists and potentially linking the file to the Spotify version are KEY.

purpletabbycat

Why would you ever REMOVE a feature? This feature was critical to making my local files sync up with the ones in the Spotify database, since sometimes the names can be a little off. Changing the songs in a separate app does not always work within Spotify - for example one of my albums lists no artist in Spotify but when I view it in iTunes it does have the artist filled in. Please add this feature back in!!

I mean c'mon, even Amazon Music has this feature!