[Desktop] Edit Local File Information

Spotify has taken away users' ability to easily edit information on any local files (right click local file - edit info), such as adding an artist, album, or editing the title (yes, this comes in useful). 

I've added a screenshot of 2 local songs: the top one had information edited before the update, while the bottom one was just added and I can't add any missing information or change the bizarre title, thanks to Spotify's new update.

Not only is editing information useful for clarity, but it is also key for linking local tracks to Spotify's catalogue. 

If this is affecting you or my unsightly song title bothers you, please give this post kudos! Every little bit helps. Thank you!

32981507326512.JPG

Updated on 2018-08-30

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community and adding your vote to this idea

We're marking this as case closed now, as this isn't something we're looking to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts however, and can confirm they've been passed on to the relevant teams.

If we have anything to share on this in the future, we'll be back in touch here

Thanks

Related Ideas

Comments
MadmanOnWheels
Roadie

Hey, everyone. I'm not agreeing that Spotify should have taken away this feature (I never knew it existed), but since you have to add local files on you computer, anyway, you must have a player in which you can use to edit the song information. I use iTunes to edit and add missing album artwork. You can probably use Windows Media Player just as easily.Screenshot_2017-12-27-17-06-15-1.png

Screenshot_2017-12-27-17-09-45-1.png

user-removed
Not applicable

I actually do use a tool that allows me to edit the metadata for songs. Basically, I download some album (most recently Chance's Merry Christmas Lil Mama, for example), then I use a tool called "beets" to edit the metadata and copy the songs over to my Spotify local music folder. However, sometimes, Spotify will override the metadata that I set, because it thinks it has a match in its catalog (for example, Chance's Acid Rap). Sometimes, I can get around this issue by removing the songs from my Spotify local files directory, clearing the cache, then copying them back. But the fact that I have to go through such a convoluted setup just to tell Spotify "hey this track that I clearly own locally should be named this" is ridiculuous.

FYI, I know the metadata tool that I use works, because importing the tracks into any other player works flawlessly.

Atho00

YES! I hate it when you have to edit the file properties BEFORE you add the file to the folder where Spotify finds your local files! But this is the only solution I have found to date. Edit first, add to "Music" after satisfied with title, album etc.

miguelinho2910
Music Fan

Absolutely no additions to local files are linking to anything at the moment for me. Bring back the 2013 build of Spotify because the current one is garbage. If I want to add local files (as I've paid for them and as a paying Spotify customer), I should be able to have the ID3 tags link to Spotify's catalogue itself and how I want them to appear. An absolute shambles.

LukeFree
Regular

It seems it working now. I just found all my local files are named like they are in iTunes and I can rename them. They won't play if I put them in a spotify playlist and go off wifi or offline so i've saved them in an offline playlist. 

pexstar
Whaat? So you can actually rename the local songs *in Spotify itself *now??
LukeFree
Regular

No just through iTunes but the changes appear in Spotify. 

LukeFree
Regular

Another Update

The Local File songs will appear in Last Fm when you scrobble them in the recent tracks section, but then disappears when the next song plays. 

Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2018-08-30

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community and adding your vote to this idea

We're marking this as case closed now, as this isn't something we're looking to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts however, and can confirm they've been passed on to the relevant teams.

If we have anything to share on this in the future, we'll be back in touch here

Thanks