[Desktop] Edit Local File Information

Spotify has taken away users' ability to easily edit information on any local files (right click local file - edit info), such as adding an artist, album, or editing the title (yes, this comes in useful). 

I've added a screenshot of 2 local songs: the top one had information edited before the update, while the bottom one was just added and I can't add any missing information or change the bizarre title, thanks to Spotify's new update.

Not only is editing information useful for clarity, but it is also key for linking local tracks to Spotify's catalogue. 

If this is affecting you or my unsightly song title bothers you, please give this post kudos! Every little bit helps. Thank you!

32981507326512.JPG

Updated on 2018-08-30

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community and adding your vote to this idea

We're marking this as case closed now, as this isn't something we're looking to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts however, and can confirm they've been passed on to the relevant teams.

If we have anything to share on this in the future, we'll be back in touch here

Thanks

Comments
basmanimov

BUMP

Force

For some reason Spotify chooses to edit the artist name of just some songs (as in the screenshot below), and I do not have any way to edit them back to what they're supposed to be. Wich is REALLY annoying, so yes, this is something they need to change back.

Skärmklipp.JPG

epigeyre

I tottally agree with previous comments! Why would you take away the "Edit info" function? Do you really think that we are happy using another software to edit the info before importing the music in Spotify? I've also been a long time supporter of Spotify even when you did things I didn't agree with, but today this is just too much! Bring back that function asap, I need it! If you can't provide such a basic function I'll cancel my subscription as the software won't answer my needs anymore.

user-removed
Not applicable

PLEASE. Please bring this back. This was probably one of the most useful functions spotify had.

BoKo56
Music Fan

The simple question to Spotify is :

WHEN  - not if - will the update be availible to fix this bug??? It's a shame you haven't fixed it already. Not good PR...

You need to take more care of  - and listen to - your users/subscribers.. there are alternatives to Spotify, right??

miguelinho2910
Music Fan

Definitely need to bring this back. The whole concept of local files has gone by the wayside since the new build update. Some stuff (ie sort by date added) has gradually come back but so much is still missing. Most of my main playlist were local files, allowing for more scope with the 3,333 offline sync - now they're classed as just synced from Spotify despite adding them originally as local files. Inability to search by letter for artist or track name, the fact the screen reverts back to the top of the list everytime you switch between playlists rather than staying where you were when last on that screen and, as this thread is about, inability to edit info.

It doesn't mirror what's on your HDD. I've edited the ID3 tags of several files outside of Spotify and it never corrects itself. You can't delete local files from the list either, which allowed for the ID3 tag to rectify when you drag-and-dropped it back into local files or a playlist.

Why on Earth you guys stripped Spotify of so many of its features to change the interface is beyond comprehension. I'm paying £10 a month for something that works as quickly as my 96 year old grandmother moves. Never mind "not right now", you have paying customers who want their money's worth. I doubt these things are even that difficult to implement back into the program either!

camaro-cowboy
Roadie

I first noticed this a couple of weeks ago when i went to import a local file.I right-clicked on a song and lo and behold the edit profile was gone.Not only that but the ability to search for a song was gone.I don't understand why spotify would give up on these very useful features?

@scarletmiri wrote:

Spotify has taken away users' ability to easily edit information on any local files (right click local file - edit info), such as adding an artist, album, or editing the title (yes, this comes in useful). 

I've added a screenshot of 2 local songs: the top one had information edited before the update, while the bottom one was just added and I can't add any missing information or change the bizarre title, thanks to Spotify's new update.

Not only is editing information useful for clarity, but it is also key for linking local tracks to Spotify's catalogue. 

If this is affecting you or my unsightly song title bothers you, please give this post kudos! Every little bit helps. Thank you!

tomaspeterpan

Very interesting that the Product team would remove this essential feature for users. Definitely not a user-friendly decision. It's also important to note that this is just a small sample size of the total negative sentiment surrounding the removal of this feature. 

chapes

just doesn't make sense of having a useful editing tool and removing it, basically a software that looses funcitionality with upgrades. Can I download a previous version and disable updates?

rogersonic
Casual Listener

Local files are very important since users can add music that is not commercial and is not within the Spotify catalog or because simply Spotify does not have it within their catalog or it was removed, one of the main featuers an application should have to allow management of local files is the ability to edit local files information. Sometimes a song I like is not in Spotify and I purchase it on iTunes but since Spotify does not show image cover for M4A files I have to convert iTunes files into MP3 files and then I have to add the cover art manually but I cannot do this on Spotify. It seems that Spotify doest not pay enought attention to the importance of local files for users.