Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Equalizer for the Desktop Version

There should be an Equalizer for the Desktop version of Spotify.

EQ1.png

Since Spotify's mobile apps now have an EQ setting, this should be implemented on the desktop version, too!
The EQ should come with various presets but also the ability to save your own custom settings.

Updated on 2022-08-10

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that the Equalizer option is now available on desktop - and is gradually rolling out to all users over the next week. You will be able to play around and customize the sound of your music for a better listening experience by toggling your Equalizer on your computers.

Elena_1-1660143850905.png

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
ski629

I'd like to add the the chorus of people asking for this, as everyone else has said its a pretty fundamental part of any music application and impacts my enjoyment of the service. 

TancingTunes
Nobody will buy an EQ plus headphone amplifier to work around Spotify's
lack of basic audio controls.

I am leaning strongly toward getting an iTunes subscription, because of
that.

JuanJoseMarco

This advanced equalizer should be a must for Spotify. Sure that many people still use Itunes or other streaming platforms instead of Spotify because of that!

I hope you are already working on that and soon we will have this available.

Fenny_Paws

Get that equilizer on the desktop version of Spotify it is a need sooooo much.

reedyfj

This is ridiculous that devs approve a mobile equalizer but not a desktop equalizer.  Why don't they realize features need to be implemented across all platforms?  Absolutely ridiculous; I'm really just waiting for Apple Music to improve their music-saving UI before I ditch Spotify for good.

happyhendersons

This is a million times better than using an EQ within Chrome. For those who aren't familiar with Equalizer APO, it is probably the only free way to easily apply EQ changes system-wide on Windows (I've looked a lot).

This is the link for Equalizer APO

This is the link for the Peace custom GUI

You could use the built-in Configuration Editor as well but it's much more clunky (and non-resizable - it's tiny!) After installing Equalizer APO, restart your computer. Then drag the Peace application into Program Files>EqualizerAPO>config. Then run Peace and you'll have your EQ.

happyhendersons

There is a comment earlier about this, but I'm posting just because it is the best free way to solve this issue. It's a Windows-integrated systemwide EQ. This is seriously by far the best way to use EQ in Windows.

For those who aren't familiar with Equalizer APO, it is probably the only free way to easily apply EQ changes system-wide on Windows (I've looked a lot).

This is the link for Equalizer APO

This is the link for the Peace custom GUI

You could use the built-in Configuration Editor as well but it's much more clunky (and non-resizable - it's tiny!) After installing Equalizer APO, restart your computer. Then drag the Peace application into Program Files>EqualizerAPO>config. Then run Peace and you'll have your EQ.

skoodle_um_skoo

Anyone who feels they need a spotify equaliser probably needs to improve their music playing hadware - eg external DAC*, better amp and speakers/headphones. Equalisers are not really part of any audiophile hifi set up - the best quality amplifiers don't even have bass or treble controls, just volume. Having said that I think that spotify should implement an equaliser for those who, for whatever reason, are stuck with less than optimal music playing hardware.

* A usb stick sized external DAC is a really worthwhile purchase as it can be carried around and plugged into whatever computer you listen to music/spotify on during the day. 

briandegenstein

This is insane and it still baffles me that after nearly 3 years of seeing requests for this, it gets put under "not right now." Not quite sure what the purpose of a community is if you don't listen to their requests? I've been using Apple Music instead, which iTunes has had an equalizer for years, if not forever. I was a happy Premium customer for over 2 years and have since canceled my subscription. No plans to return after seeing this. Extremely disappointed. 

neodraig

I can't understand why such basic feature is not available in the desktop version of Spotify. All video, music or media players have it.

Each time I want to listen to some music with Spotify, I have to fiddle with the sound card settings to access the equalizer, and when I've finished using Spotify I have to go back in the sound card settings again to deactivate the equalizer. That's ridiculous.