Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Equalizer for the Desktop Version

There should be an Equalizer for the Desktop version of Spotify.

EQ1.png

Since Spotify's mobile apps now have an EQ setting, this should be implemented on the desktop version, too!
The EQ should come with various presets but also the ability to save your own custom settings.

Updated on 2022-08-10

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that the Equalizer option is now available on desktop - and is gradually rolling out to all users over the next week. You will be able to play around and customize the sound of your music for a better listening experience by toggling your Equalizer on your computers.

Elena_1-1660143850905.png

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
twokoalas

I have real issue with this on a mac. There is currently no good "no hacking" solution for system wide EQ on a mac. So the sound quality always depends on the app that plays it. Not to have an EQ in the music app and set status "not right now" is like selling the car with 3 wheels that keeps drivers annoyed on every corner and say that, the 4th wheel is not our priority..  Seiriously guys, as Spotify is  a music app this should have been in the first version. There are like 5 updates every week although the app runs ok anyway. You could direct your resources where it matters because the competitors are not sleeping. 

Although i am not to excited to of pay apple rather than spotify but just yesterday I decided to switch to apple music for now because the sound quality is noticeably better. Although  I still prefer spotify, inability to "color" my music and make it sound better on my system or headphones  is a no go for me right now. 

And hey, not having an EQ in a music app is just as cool as this line is stylish

TancingTunes

Using a DAC for streamed music is like putting chrome on a crumpled bumper. It won't make any useful improvement relative to original CD quality, as the audio is already compromised. You can't undo the artifacts introduced by lossy compression.

You can use good headphones, however, like the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro series.

twokoalas
Hi,

I agree to some extent. And I do value a good quality sound without too much modification. And when I want that I put the LP on on my home system.

But on things like streamed music it is the perception that matters rather than a pure technical quality because Spotify is often used in different context. It's like the Apple OS's to prioritize interface drawing which gives an impression of faster computer or phone to the user when technically it may be less capable.

I listen to Spotify when I commute, do sports and at work and often with a decent quality Bluetooth headphones. Mobile apps already have an equalizer and ability to tune down the base a little makes a real difference. When I play the same song from my MacBook the sound is simply not that pleasant. Same song on iTunes sounds noticeably better just because I have an ability to put "a bit of chrome on the rusty bumper". Yes it may still be a rusty bumper but looks nicer if you are not paying a lot of attention to it.

So like many, I am surprised why Spotify did not add such an integral part of any music application. Yes it may not bring the lost data, but if it makes the impression of a better sound- everyone is a winner.

JuanJoseMarco

Get the equalizer NOW!!!!! 

Your are getting obsolete,

mardrik

Missing equalizer in music app was acceptable maybe in early 90s. But nowadays I cannot really imagine how to racionalize such a functional lack. This is underlined with a fact that everything I play on Windows 8 sounds better than Spotify including Youtube music videos!

There are actually 3 major issues regarding Windows desktop client why I am still deciding if I should continue with Spotify:

- no equalizer

- missing global shortcuts

- "fatty" client

twokoalas

I think it is time for spotify to develop real native Mac and Windows apps. Fogive me if I am wrong but so far the app looks to be simply a webView masked as an application. This probably makes it too hard to make things like equalizers because browsers may not be able to access some system services.  It's time for Spotify devs to take this seriously because you cannot compete with the features that real native apps can have. Yes Apple music is not yet there in terms of features and UI but it won't take them long to improve that. So how will Spotify compete against service that has the same content, easier or payment integration (and better price in some cases), features natively supported by OS, better sound quality and even the resources to hire a bunch of people to create great playlists?  With Applefy it only takes a couple of clicks to export all your playlists. Pull your socks up, Spotify, because you are very close to losing me as a paying customer and I am sure I am not the only one.

maxlin

As several other I'm also looking into the competition now for a solution that has an equalizer built in to their desktop version.

DanielSkoffa
  1. This RFC is an absolute MUST HAVE. Qualify is buggy.  Please make sure that different ranges are included (e.g. 80Hz for bassdrum/125 Hz for snaredrum) and, besides presets, own EQ presets can be created. An import / export function for these presets would be nice for different desktop (e.g. home/work). 
Rockleffe

Come on with the EQ already, Spotify. 

Don't force the community to go into haywire, crazy mob.mode like we had to to bring back your (ignorant) removal of the Ctrl+F feature in the Desktop app. 

Your iPhone app is awesome; why not follow your own good example for the desktop app?

You can set EQ on your laptop if you want.

I have EQ app in Sound card app.