Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Global HotKeys for Pause/Play, Skip, etc.

It would be nice to have an Global Hotkey so you can pause/play your music while browsing and not switching between screens. Or when you are gaming and you want another song but you don't want to alt tab and stay idle, a (customizable?)  Global Hotkey(i.g. ctrl+shift+right) would be such an great improvement in the usefulness of Spotify.

Updated on 2023-05-23

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on why your idea has been closed can be found here.

Comments
app_maker

I'm unfollowing this thread because A. Spotify DGAF and B. I don't have any problems with Toastify. James Taylor and everyone else, what's wrong with Toastify?

MaxMonkeyMax

Some of my Fkeys (specifaclly f9 f10 and f11) have little play/pause and skip icons on them which until today i was able to use system wide to control spotify. Now they only work when the application is selected.

wynarator

Yesterday I used spotify for the first time, ofcourse after listening to few songs I headed straight into preferences and searched for global hotkeys. WHAT? Really? This is so basic, I am amazed that it's not there. If it wasn't for toastify I would close my premium right away.

zeroxxx

Just knew about toastify. My god these Spotify's engineers apparently don't have clue how to make program's functionality or UI.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Not Right Now
Updated: 2016-12-14

Hey folks, we're marking this as 'Not Right Now' and we'd like to explain why. First, almost all keyboards have play/pause buttons on the keyboard that work with Spotify. If your keyboard doesn't have these keys you can use a special program that creates a shortcut that will send the key codes for play/pause. Thanks for your continued feedback!

You've directed this other idea over to this page:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Shortcuts-for-adding-tracks-to-current-playlist/idi-p/...

But they are different imo. I don't care about play/pause etc. But I would love a shortcut to add a song I hear to a specfic playlist (this is obviously not on my keyboard as you've suggested).

karan1866

There should be keyboard shortuts for other functions as well such as like song or add to library. This can be useful for easily discovering/saving songs while working and not having to switch to spotify.

mreko

http://www.randyrants.com/category/sharpkeys/

Juse used this and replaced play/stop, prev and next song with NUM / * and - on my non-media keyboard.

Works just well!

maiapounamuskux

sup eveyone

wayfall

Oh please get this up as it would be great for when im playin a game such as Fallout 3/4, forum posting or using media editing programs!