[Desktop] Global HotKeys for Pause/Play, Skip, etc.

It would be nice to have an Global Hotkey so you can pause/play your music while browsing and not switching between screens. Or when you are gaming and you want another song but you don't want to alt tab and stay idle, a (customizable?)  Global Hotkey(i.g. ctrl+shift+right) would be such an great improvement in the usefulness of Spotify.

Updated on 2019-01-11

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea. 

After discussing with the right teams we've decided not to implement global hotkeys on Spotify. 

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas and giving us feedback in our Idea Exchange.

Related Ideas

Comments
user-removed
Not applicable

toastify works great... just needed one more functionality to star a song

roberskine

Well @lucferron, I don't know if it's a 1 day job. It's not in their API, else I'd totally spend a whole day building it since it doesn't even require a rocket science degree.

image datan : Image data in TIFF format.

applicationn [see also Standard Suite] : The Spotify application.

properties

current track (track, r/o) : The current playing track.

sound volume (integer) : The sound output volume (0 = minimum, 100 = maximum)

player state (stopped/‌playing/‌paused, r/o) : Is Spotify stopped, paused, or playing?

player position (real) : The player’s position within the currently playing track in seconds.

repeating enabled (boolean, r/o) : Is repeating enabled in the current playback context?

repeating (boolean) : Is repeating on or off?

shuffling enabled (boolean, r/o) : Is shuffling enabled in the current playback context?

shuffling (boolean) : Is shuffling on or off?

trackn : A Spotify track.

properties

artist (text, r/o) : The artist of the track.

album (text, r/o) : The album of the track.

disc number (integer, r/o) : The disc number of the track.

duration (integer, r/o) : The length of the track in seconds.

played count (integer, r/o) : The number of times this track has been played.

track number (integer, r/o) : The index of the track in its album.

starred (boolean, r/o) : Is the track starred?

popularity (integer, r/o) : How popular is this track? 0-100

id (text, r/o) : The ID of the item.

name (text, r/o) : The name of the track.

artwork (image data, r/o) : The track's album cover.

album artist (text, r/o) : That album artist of the track.

spotify url (text) : The URL of the track.

next trackv : Skip to the next track.

next track

previous trackv : Skip to the previous track.

previous track

playpausev : Toggle play/pause.

playpause

pausev : Pause playback.

pause

playv : Resume playback.

play

play trackv : Start playback of a track in the given context.

play track text : the URI of the track to play

[in context text] : the URI of the context to play in

oeskpes

Google for "Blockify"

It alows you to use global Hotkeys,simply as that.

MusicMix

I would very much like such a feature, I've tried both Toastify and AutoHotkey. Both of these works as charms, but I must admit I'm quite the fan of limiting number of third-party software running in my background. Therefore I would really appreciate a built-in support for this global hotkeys, where the user is able to define his own key-combination for activating different features. This could be good for Spotify as well, since they can give the users endless of features to use, such as "add to #somePlaylist" and similar features.

mildfuzz

This ticket is almost 3 years old, with almost 400 votes. It's not a difficult thing to implement, why has it not been prioritised? 

olaf-olaf
Casual Listener

I figured out a workaround for Windows. It takes a few technical steps but works perfectly, at least on my system.

1. Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express 

2. Download the source code for AutoHotkey_L

3. Follow the instructions: 

• Open AutoHotkeyx.sln in VC++ 2010 Express.
  • Select the appropriate Build and Platform.
  • Build.

(Make sure to choose "Release", so that you will compile an EXE file. I couldn't get it working with x64, but Win32 works fine.)

4. Create a file named AutoHotkey.ahk in your username's Documents folder.

5. See the original AutoHotkey documentation, especially the quick start tutorial and list of keys. The documentation is not very user friendly, but keep reading and you'll get it eventually.

6. Remap your keyboard in the AutoHotkey.ahk file.

My example configuration (Ducky Shine 3 keyboard):

Launch_App1::Send {Media_Prev}
Launch_Mail::Send {Media_Play_Pause}
Browser_Home::Send {Media_Next}

This remaps the three keys (My Computer, Mail, Browser home) at Ducky's upper right corner as Previous Song, Play/Pause, Next Song. Of course, you'll have to invent the best configuration for your own keyboard.

7. Add AutoHotkey.exe to your Windows startup.

• Create a shortcut for the EXE file.
  • Select the folder All Programs > Start-up, and click Open, which takes you directly into C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup (on Windows 8.1).
  • Copy the shortcut there.

Voilà.

Bonus tip: check out this algorithmic list of "every" musical style with representative samples. Clicking » first opens a view of artists and then links to their respective Spotify pages. With your newly configured keyboard, you can open an interesting genre/artist and easily browse through the songs without switching windows.

Olli

Finland

bmahan

I opened my keyboard Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 v1.0 and just changed the brower forward and back ward buttons to change tracks. Works like a charm. So if you have extra hotkeys on your keyboard it should be simple. Especially one like I have.

2015-07-24 09_46_42-microsoft ergonomic keyboard 4000 - Google Search - Internet Explorer.png

krzemian

Add To Your Music

AutoHotkey script

Ctrl+Shift+S

• Make sure to extend the left sidebar fully or edit addToMyMusicButtonX if you don't want to do that
  • It flashes the Spotify window so it's not suitable for Counter Strike, but otherwise is quite handy
  • It has a mechanism preventing from accidentally removing the song from Your Music 
  • If it ceases to work, use Window Spy to find new addToMyMusicButtonX and addToMyMusicButtonY values (tested on Spotify 1.0.15 on Windows 10)

; Spotify - Add To Your Music
; Requires the left sidebar to be fully extended
; (if you prefer to keep it narrower, edit addToMyMusicButtonX offset)
^+s::
Run, C:\Users\One\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe, , Max, pId
WinWait, ahk_class SpotifyMainWindow
WinActivate, ahk_class SpotifyMainWindow
WinWaitActive, ahk_class SpotifyMainWindow
WinMaximize
WinGetPos, , , SpotifyWindowWidth, SpotifyWindowHeight

; Calculate button positions regardless of the size of the window
; (UPDATE: it actually needs to be in maximized view as controls move around in respective states unfortunately)
addToMyMusicButtonX := 386
addToMyMusicButtonY := SpotifyWindowHeight - 99

; Check the color of the "Add To Your Music" button
; I differentiate the X and "check" shape based on the color of the pixel in a certain location
; This prevents you from accidentally removing an already added song from the playlist
PixelGetColor, songState, addToMyMusicButtonX, addToMyMusicButtonY
; Check if it's already in "Your Music"
if(songState = 0x682828)
{
Click %addToMyMusicButtonX%, %addToMyMusicButtonY%
}
WinMinimize
Return

R_L_H

Looking specifically for the ability to assign hotkeys - my keyboard gives me the option to pause, play, and skip, but I have to minimize my games and add them to my library.

kevingelking
Casual Listener

For me, the important missing thing was the ability to "seek" using hotkeys similar to how it worked in WinAMP, where I did not mind much whether I have to tab to Spotify or not. My original ticket was closed as being a duplicate of this ticket (although it's a completely different (magnitude of) request).

It seems that Spotify now gives the ability to "seek" through tracks so that's good enough for me! :)