Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Global HotKeys for Pause/Play, Skip, etc.

It would be nice to have an Global Hotkey so you can pause/play your music while browsing and not switching between screens. Or when you are gaming and you want another song but you don't want to alt tab and stay idle, a (customizable?)  Global Hotkey(i.g. ctrl+shift+right) would be such an great improvement in the usefulness of Spotify.

Updated on 2023-05-23

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on why your idea has been closed can be found here.

Comments
rashaunie

Almost all...laptop keyboards?   Yes I would agree with you.  Almost all desktop keyboards no!  Anyone that works in a corporate environment and has deployments from Dell or HP etc +most likely has a standard Dell/HP keyboard.  In my industry, computer engineering, many employers deploy laptops to all who wish but the far majority of the time these are in the docking station.   Enjoying the service.  Thank you for the great link as well, AutoHotKey is excellent development!

-Ryan

kevingelking

I very, very much want this implemented for the "seeking" controls (skip back/ahead x seconds).

Having it customizable would be ideal, because the WinAMP controls via "NumPad" are just a genius design that is so comfortable to use.

Yes, media keys exist, but they have only very basic controls for Stop/PlayPause/Previous/Next and do not have the "Seek" controls. Also, depending on the type of keyboard, they can be **bleep**tily placed and uncomfortable to use, especially considering you require two hands to listen to music on spotify (mouse to skip multiple songs at once, mouse to select position in track seeking bar).

Spotify has a nice selection of songs, but it has an interaction design created by a dude who grew up with 4 arms.

wdolek

Please re-open this! Global hotkey should be standard feature of player - of course without additional software. This is crucial thing.

DarkAngelBA
You have my vote! Re-open this!!
DarkAngelBA
You have my vote! Re-open this!!
pedrozarth

common!! this seens so simple to be done

Ognik777

I'm surprised the spotify guys didn't think a bit more about this - even if you have media keys (I do), they default to windows media player.  To have them work with spotify, you have to first put spotify in focus (click on it) - only then do the media keys work with spotify.  So if you're doing something else and want to press pause, you have to change focus from whatever you're doing to click on spotify.

wayfall

This would be a very handy feature to have for me while i'm gaming and listening to my old tunes, the amount of times i have had to alt-tab out to change to a track i want and on some occasions the game or software crashes due to the alt-tab.

This feature would save me the hindrance.

dubiousOne

but I don't want to install more software goddamnit

sunyiyun2001

Just use a spotify app to control it.