Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Global HotKeys for Pause/Play, Skip, etc.

It would be nice to have an Global Hotkey so you can pause/play your music while browsing and not switching between screens. Or when you are gaming and you want another song but you don't want to alt tab and stay idle, a (customizable?)  Global Hotkey(i.g. ctrl+shift+right) would be such an great improvement in the usefulness of Spotify.

Updated on 2023-05-23

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on why your idea has been closed can be found here.

Comments
plopkonijn

RE-OPEN THIS!!! 
Seriously the spotify devs are doing nothing and should have been able to implement this idea withing 5 years. So very incompetent devs...

R_L_H

Looking specifically for the ability to assign hotkeys - my keyboard gives me the option to pause, play, and skip, but I have to minimize my games and add them to my library.

kevingelking

For me, the important missing thing was the ability to "seek" using hotkeys similar to how it worked in WinAMP, where I did not mind much whether I have to tab to Spotify or not. My original ticket was closed as being a duplicate of this ticket (although it's a completely different (magnitude of) request).

It seems that Spotify now gives the ability to "seek" through tracks so that's good enough for me! 🙂

CookieJohnsen

Why can't we just get a hotkey for spotify specifically, as a streamer that uses song requests I can't use this because the play/pause key clashes with the bot which needs to be open for viewers to request songs. Its such a simple thing to add I don't get why it hasnt been added yet, especially since we pay for spotify and we are clearly requesting it. 

marfedd

This is so dumb. Even if there is a 3rd party software to do this, it's cumbersome(manually create a script with AutoHotkey on Windows) to configure it. And not everyone has a keyboard with media keys.

As if it were so hard to add this feature and allow the users to configure the keys.

You are using a **bleep**ty excuse to justify your laziness.

Jenay51

Why does it pause all by itself, and then tell me no bluetooth?

somagfx

Hi guys.

I was directed here to this feed.

I've started a request because I was looking for a solution to use "save to your library" or "like"and"dislike" the current track with a HotKey. It does not have to be global, one can manage it with several tools out there. But first we need these Hotkeys IN the application.

I would appreciate that if we're getting the one, two, or three hotkeys for "save to your library", "like" / "dislike" the current track.

It's rather condescending that Spotify's official solution to this problem is "buy another keyboard", and it's disingenuous to suggest "almost all" keyboards have media keys. No, they do not, especially more expensive ones (i.e mechanical keyboards).

• I'm not going to replace my $100 keyboard with another $100 keyboard just to get media keys.
  • I'm not going to buy a cheap keyboard just to use Spotify's hotkeys.
  • I'm not going to download a third-party app to make up for what should be native functionality in Spotify.

The Spotify client has a million tiny issues and missing features which the developers have ignored for years now. What is it going to take to make them improve it?

jicr777

There are still missing important local keyboard shortcuts (working when Spotify window is active).

- "Add to library" shortcut

- "Like" "Dislike"

For global shortcuts you can use Autohotkey

; Win + F17 to F9 for media control
#F7::Send "{Media_Prev}" 
#F8::Send "{Media_Play_Pause}"
#F9::Send "{Media_Next}"

I have also made script which activate Spotify Window, move mouse over like button and click, but it stopped working with new design where button is right next title (with variable witdth). All this just to make basic feature work

#IfWinExist ahk_class "SpotifyMainWindow" ;Only do the following if Spotify is running
 spotify = ahk_class "SpotifyMainWindow" ;Set variable for Spotify Window Name
 CoordMode Mouse, Screen
 MouseGetPos OrigX, OrigY
 WinActivate ahk_class SpotifyMainWindow
 WinGetPos X, Y, Width, Height, ahk_class SpotifyMainWindow
 MouseClick left, X+186, Y+Height-52
 MouseMove OrigX, OrigY

Jenay51
Hello,
I guess I am a little slow on the uptake, don't know on or how you are listening, but on my desk computer Library, Daily Mix, Songs, Play List etc. are right there on the left and on my cell phone at the bottom of the screen is Library, radio, search, browse, home, play. What are you listening on?