Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Global HotKeys for Pause/Play, Skip, etc.

It would be nice to have an Global Hotkey so you can pause/play your music while browsing and not switching between screens. Or when you are gaming and you want another song but you don't want to alt tab and stay idle, a (customizable?)  Global Hotkey(i.g. ctrl+shift+right) would be such an great improvement in the usefulness of Spotify.

Updated on 2023-05-23

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on why your idea has been closed can be found here.

Comments
jcleeeland

How does the Toastfy thing work? Do i just download it?

PS I am also surprised Spotify haven't got this already built in!

oeskpes

Google for "Blockify"

It alows you to use global Hotkeys,simply as that.

idStar
On the Mac, just use the app 'Take Five' from the Icon Factory. It sits in your menu bar. I've assigned F1 as my play/pause toggle for Spotify. See: http://takefiveapp.com
Kosta

Well, I am a bit disappointed that this feature hasn't been built in. Spotify is a great service, and IMO it pays off, but they need to listen to their users.

I now have a Premium service, but to be honest, if this feature doesn't find it's way into Spotify, I see myself leaving, as harsh as it sounds.

globalthinker

This feature is still lacking in Spotify for all of us who don't have media keyboards. At least there's a nice program for Windows that solves the problem: Tostify.

mjblack

What did Spotify change to make it work with media keyboards in Windows 7? I can now minimize Spotify and still use the media keys on my keyboard. This won't work with VLC...

There has to be something different between the two. And I can't stop using VLC until Spotify supports .flac files (I'm not going to keep an .mp3 and a .flac version of every song).

CocaCola124

If you have Windows 7 and a keyboard that has the pause/play/skip/back icons over the F9,F11, and F12 keys, you can hold FN and press one of the buttons to do this, so only certain keyboards do it I guess.

MusicMix

I would very much like such a feature, I've tried both Toastify and AutoHotkey. Both of these works as charms, but I must admit I'm quite the fan of limiting number of third-party software running in my background. Therefore I would really appreciate a built-in support for this global hotkeys, where the user is able to define his own key-combination for activating different features. This could be good for Spotify as well, since they can give the users endless of features to use, such as "add to #somePlaylist" and similar features.

Lorene13

Yes, I would love to see customizable global hot keys added to Spotify! Play, pause, stop, skip track fwd/bck, vol. up/dwn; the ability to star tracks via hot keys. And being able to do all these things from another tab or window would be perfect. Yes I know that these have been mentioned in previous comments - I am merely reiterating how great these options would be 🙂

bobtail

Like , Dislike, Delete file (from hard drive or playlist) would also be a nice function.