[Desktop] Mini Player

Update 17/2/14 - Almost 2 years ago I submitted this idea, and in the last few weeks, the number of Kudos email notifcations I receive daily is getting even more frequent. Thanks to everyone who keep's voting it up, I didn't think it would get 10 votes let alone over 1,000! Clearly it's popular but not as straight forward to develop hence the 'Not Right Now' status from Spotify, but keep the voting! The most rated ideas are getting developed and it's just a matter of time before this one does too. 

Thanks!

------------------

I'd like to see a miniplayer and mini controls for Spotify that could sit in the taskbar (Windows and Mac!)

The idea came about, after I kept maximising and minimising Spotify just to see my play queue and sometimes jump down a few . This is my solution making it a less obtrusive way of seeing what's coming up and track jumping. 

SpotifyMiniPlayer_V3.jpg

Updated on 2020-05-08

Update: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2018-12-14

Hey Folks!

Thanks for coming to the Idea Exchange, and sharing your comments on this.

Although we appreciate many of you here would like to see a desktop mini-player, they are used by a very small subset of listeners overall. After speaking to the right teams, we’ve therefore decided to focus our immediate attention and resources on features that have a higher engagement at this time.

We may reassess this decision in the future. But, for now, we wanted to keep everyone in the loop. Rest assured we’re constantly working to implement feature requests you make via the Ideas Exchange.

Thanks for understanding, and please keep those ideas and requests coming!
Comments
Regular

Still no sight of a miniplayer 😞

Not even a right-click menu for PC users?

In case someone is useful. I usually use the lyricfier application for mac, https://github.com/emilioastarita/lyricfier, I see the artist, the song and the lyrics (although I hide it so that it does not occupy a screen). But, of course, I can not do anything.

Im surprised there isnt a 'spotify mini' version where it sits on top of your desktop where basic controls and song information is displayed. Would be very useful to have this. Hope this comes out in future updates. 

You can try extention for chrome what ai made. 

source code

crx file

Casual Listener

It would be pretty cool to have different themes and skins with one of them being a compact view.  Makes me miss the old days of WinAmp and XMMS 

Having moved from Apple Music family subscription to Spotify Premium at the beginning of the year, the only feature that I miss from iTunes is the MiniPlayer function.  Spotify for MacOS takes up far too much screen space to be usable whilst I am getting on with other work on my MacBook Pro.  Also, when the track changed in iTunes, this popped up on the screen as a notification.  With Spotify for Mac OSX, the only way I can see what is playing on my Mac is by moving the pointer over the minimised Spotify icon.  

However, my solution to this problem is to use my iPhone X as an auxillary screen: it displays the track and acts as a remote control function, making the most of the Spotify eco-system.  This occupies zero screen space on the Mac and is an incredible innovation by Spotify that still amazes me, more than 6 months on!

OSX Right clicking on the app in the doc is fine - but I'm sitting here working and hear a song I love - want to buy it and/or figure out who it is... I have to open the app... with iTunes, I can just glance down at the tiny window in the bottom right corner of my screen. It isn't the same. Making a new window in your app should be trivial.

If you have ever used Groove (Windows 10 media player), they have a feature called "mini view" where it turns into a small Windows that stays on top of all other windows. It would be great if Spotify could adopt this feature which is available on later builds of Windows 10. An example of this can be seen from the MSDN blog.

+1 for this idea. It's rather easy to implement and extremely useful. I completely don't understand why it's not being implemented in a company that probably is really focused on usability of their apss....

It's really rare that I look for functionality of an app (especially a premium service) and post comments in the dev forum. Since I did this - it's because I'm one of at least 10k other frustrated people since 6 years here. 

SPOTIFY DEV TEAM, PLEASE MAKE THIS SIMPLE DEVELOPMENT.

MINI PLAYER! MINI PLAYER! MINI PLAYER!  COMMON PANDORA WAS ON THIS YEARS AGO...SERIOUSLY SPOTIFY NEEDS TO CATCH UP!