[Desktop][Other] Improvements to "Where people listen" section of "About" page

Where people listen (for 90% of artists):

1) Manhattan

2) Chicago

3) Los Angeles

4) London

It's always the same list, because this is a proxy for population.  In other words, of course the biggest cities are going to have the most listeners.  It would be far more useful to see more of a "market share" figure that actually shows where the greatest percentage/concentration of listeners from a particular area listen to the artist in question.  This could be done one of two ways:  1) 5% of listeners live in Denver, or 2) 2% of Denver users listen to this artist.

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2017-07-11

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Related Ideas

Comments
Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21
Status changed to: New Idea
Updated: 2016-07-16

Marked as new idea.

nbm_
Casual Listener

Agreed!  I just made a redundant post about this the other day because my search for the word "normalize" didn't return this.  So I'm adding my post body to help more searchers find this topic.  Cheers!

The "Where people listen" portion of the "About" section is a really cool idea!  But it almost always says "Brooklyn", "London", or "Manhattan".  It would be great if you could rank the cities by percent listeners (e.g. 32% of Manhattan spotify listers are listening to Tete Montolio) instead of just listener count.  

If you don't normalize the population in this way, your "Where people listen" section is always just going to be a list of the cities in the world with the most spotify listeners.  This hides a lot of interesting information about musician popularity!

To further emphasize my point, here's a relevant XKCD comic strip: https://xkcd.com/1138/

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2017-07-11

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!