[Desktop][Other] Let 3rd party developers make extensions/plug-ins to use within desktop

I love using Pacemaker to make playlists.  I also love using http://moretrackslikethis.com/ to find songs similar to songs I am really enjoying at the moment.  I enjoy seeing lyrics.  I like being able to look at album art.  I like playing songs while learning them on an instrument.  I also like being able to lookup artist commentary or history for a given song or album.  I like looking up artist bios and profiles to learn more about their musical journey.

In a nut-shell I love Spotify, but, I connect more with its music experience when I am using my web browser/google instead of staying within the Spotify app/program/window 100%.

It would be pretty interesting to be able to add extensions or plug-ins to my Spotify desktop program like how I can with the Microsoft Office Suite of programs.  Instead of having an extension to help with email templates etc. the extensions would be a way for me to customize my Spotify experience so that I have integrated abilities to use things like Pacemaker, find similar songs like http://moretrackslikethis.com/, see lyrics, see guitar chords for the song I'm listening to, search album art, see some artist or song background if I wanted to, etc. depending on what plugins or extensions I added to my spotify program (probably only available on a desktop platform)  - Obviously I can do all of this on the internet or in my other programs, however, it would be cool if independent developers were able to make those add-ins, plugins, extensions, etc. and I could add them in as I wanted - it could be setup like an app-store specific to Spotify - developers could decide if they wanted to charge for their plugin/extension or if they wanted to charge someone to be able to use it.  If an extension was a big enough success then Spotify could even work with a developer to make that extension a core function of Spotify instead of an add-in users have to enable.  This would allow Spotify to open up the world of suggestions to 3rd party developers to try to beta different features or functions that many listeners want and are asking for but there might not be an overwhelming enough demand yet to justify Spotify taking the time to integrate those features or functions on their own.

This would probably make a lot of listeners more sticky to the Spotify platform because they would feel like their Spotify experience was more custom-tailored to their preferences, likes, listening habits, etc.

Updated on 2018-11-22

Hey!

Your idea was submitted a while ago and unfortunately didn't receive the amount of kudos needed to stay active in the ideas board (100 Kudos per year). 

In order to keep the Ideas Exchange clearer I'll close this idea for now, but this doesn't mean Spotify rejected this idea.

If you think this is an idea which needs to be implemented, you're welcome to post it in slightly different again 🙂

Have a nice day!

Luke

Comments
Casual Listener

Other extension ideas that developers could make that I've seen posted in the ideas section would be: # of times a track has been listened to & where you rank as a listener for a specific Artist/group.  Spotify wouldn't have to code/develop all of those things or make everybody have every function/feature if they could somehow give 3rd party developers the ability to make these extensions integrate into our Spotify programs/apps should someone want to download and install that extension/plugin.  If an extension/plugin wasn't up to their standard then they [Spotify] could simply not approve it for public use until it was more in-line with Spotify's end-goal for what they want their user experience to be.

Rock Star 10
Rock Star 10
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2017-12-10

Great idea, you clearly have taken your time to think about this. I have marked this as a new idea. Show your suport by adding your votes!

Casual Listener

Another comparison would be to look at Google's Chrome browser and how users are able to add extensions to customize their browsing experience!

Regular

Spotify used to have exactly that a few years ago, and it was one of the things that made me it great and made me stick with Spotify, however for some reason they suddenly removed all of those in early 2015 : https://developer.spotify.com/technologies/apps/

[...] we are phasing out Spotify Apps support from the desktop client. In the upcoming version you will no longer be able to run third-party applications within the desktop client. This means the App Finder and apps inside the desktop client will no longer be available [...]

Casual Listener

@Valerian - That's a bummer, I just missed that era of Spotify!

As a developer, I would love for this to happen!

I've written a few plugins for Winamp back in the days, and I have a couple of ideas for extending Spotify.

Didn't there used to be add-ons?

Rock Star 17
Rock Star 17
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated on 2018-11-22

Hey!

Your idea was submitted a while ago and unfortunately didn't receive the amount of kudos needed to stay active in the ideas board (100 Kudos per year). 

In order to keep the Ideas Exchange clearer I'll close this idea for now, but this doesn't mean Spotify rejected this idea.

If you think this is an idea which needs to be implemented, you're welcome to post it in slightly different again 🙂

Have a nice day!

Luke