[Desktop][Other] Miniplayer for Desktop App

The Google Chrome app has a mini-player, but for some reason the desktop version doesn't. That would be super nice to have, and doesn't seem too hard to implement (it has already been put in the chrome version..)

Updated on 2020-07-30

Hey folks,

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

A similar idea has already been suggested here - feel free to add your vote to it!

We’ve made sure to transfer over all the votes gathered here to the original idea.

Cheers!

Comments

Having a mini-player is much more important now than ever. Working from home forces me on my laptop all day with tons of different windows open. Being able to quickly check what's playing on Spotify would be helpful, especially if there was a feature where the mini-player could stay on top of all the browser windows/apps. 

Rock Star 10
Rock Star 10
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2020-05-08

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.
Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

This had over 7000 votes in the prior iteration. Seems a shame the count got reset by moving it here. 

Casual Listener

Yeah, it got closed though. 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Mini-Player/idi-p/60619

Hopefully they will consider it again.

Casual Listener

Hi there! I’ve posted the same idea several months ago and it’s got a bit more headway on votes. As it’s the same concept it would be cool if you could vote for that one as well to get this idea to the Spotify team faster. Thanks so much and let’s hope this become a feature. 🙂

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Popout-player/idi-p/4800112

Casual Listener

Alright, I voted. Thanks for telling me!

It seems a bit like moving the goalposts to say you'll look into it "once it reaches the necessary amount of votes", while explicitly stating on the old version with almost 8k votes that you've "reopened" the suggestion.

Visitor

I've been wondering if something like this exists. I'm thinking of making one myself instead of waiting around for spotify to do it. Anyone have any specific feature requests they think would be helpful? I'm thinking the smaller and more minimalist the better.

Casual Listener

Yes, I would have to agree. Something similar to Google Play Music’s web player or the iTunes miniplayer was what I had in mind. You should have the ability to skip songs, and see album artwork.

Casual Listener

i think it would also be nice to be able to save/like the song as well 🙂