Announcements

[Desktop][Other] Report explicit lyrics

Hi guys, here is a fresh idea that Spotify can't bring to life without our help here – how about we introduce an option to report explicit content via the desktop app? This has been discussed here https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Explicit-Content-and-Can-t-Report/td-p/4758658 extensively, but apparently they are worried that this option might offend the minorities, appear not politically correct or just might be not useful. Or maybe some other reason. Let's prove them wrong.

Updated on 2021-03-23

Hello there!

It looks like your idea was posted a while ago but, unfortunately, it hasn't gathered the minimum amount of votes to stay active in the Ideas Exchange (50 votes in the first 3 months). I'll mark your idea as "Closed - Not Enough Votes". You can learn more on how the Ideas Exchange works here.

Have a nice day 🙂

Comments
Moshtael
Visitor

Good idea

Elena
Status changed to: New Idea

Hey @ArtisL,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new idea. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

alexisw17

I really like this idea; I know that this feature used to exist in the past, and I ended up creating this profile specifically so I could add my input on this idea. I've never heard any complaints about this feature being controversial, and I think its benefits to users probably outweigh the costs. I'm a DJ at my university's radio station, and I constantly run into the issue of accidentally playing or almost playing music over the air that uses explicit words, yet is not marked so. I'm sure this issue comes up for people in other situations, too, and would definitely be worth bringing back. I think people would prefer to have an option to report explicit songs that don't have the label, and users in general would benefit from having more songs marked explicit as a result- especially those who use the explicit content filter or other similar strategies. 

123girr
Casual Listener

I have trouble understanding why this was removed in the first place. People wanted to help report explicit lyrics, either so they could avoid swearing/lewd themes coming up in their songs or so they could prevent those songs from being played at certain times or with certain company.

It worked for a while, but it seems to have been removed in favor of the "I don't like this song" option. That has it's benefits and all, but I don't think it completely covers all the bases. There is clearly a problem of songs not having the explicit tag, even if there is clearly swearing in the song. Blocking the song completely works for some people, but there are others that want to be able to play those songs in certain settings.

Lets say for example, you have a good workout playlist, but some of the songs are explicit and aren't tagged as such. Since they aren't tagged properly, the "Filter Explicit Songs" option that they added doesn't get rid of those ones, so you can't exactly take it to the park to play basketball or play it in the car with kids around.

Jose_M
Rock Star 14
Rock Star 14
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2021-03-23

Hello there!

It looks like your idea was posted a while ago but, unfortunately, it hasn't gathered the minimum amount of votes to stay active in the Ideas Exchange (50 votes in the first 3 months). I'll mark your idea as "Closed - Not Enough Votes". You can learn more on how the Ideas Exchange works here.

Have a nice day 🙂

Related Ideas