Announcements

[Desktop][Podcasts] Audio-only option for mixed-media podcasts

I was interested to check out the Joe Rogan Experience during work but was dismayed that the Windows app forces video playback the entire time. Our company is lenient on using Spotify during the workday on company laptops, but we've been notified about aggressive video streaming during the pandemic as corporate security tries to promote improved bandwidth for telecommuters. The idea of multiple employees (it's a very large company) streaming JRE video for hours on end will surely get Spotify blocked on the corporate network.

Suggestion: implementing a toggle switch at the top of a mixed-media podcast that switches between full video or audio-only. Despite my unique situation described above, I think it's also a reasonable request for others who simply might not care to watch the episode videos.

Updated on 2020-09-10

Hey folks,

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

A similar idea has already been suggested here - feel free to add your vote to it!

We’ve made sure to transfer over all the votes gathered here to the original idea.

More info on how to search for existing ideas in the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Comments

Same thing for android, just tried to download an episode for my commute and it is taking far too long when I really only just need the audio. 

Rock Star 12
Rock Star 12
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2020-09-03

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.
Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

Just for your information, we've made some changes in the title and the content of the idea to make it more clear for other users too, but the idea continues being what was suggested by you. I hope you don't mind.

There is also a related idea, but for mobile, here.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Visitor

I used to use both apple and Spotify for podcast during commute and jogging, but ever since h3 podcast introduced mixed media episodes I switched to apple podcast entirely despite apple podcast sucks and has horrible download speed, please make it an option to toggle video on and off! I appreciate the feature on pc since I can stream the video on a second screen when I work but when I’m outdoors all I really want is the audio.

Status changed to: Duplicate

Updated on 2020-09-10

Hey folks,

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

A similar idea has already been suggested here - feel free to add your vote to it!

We’ve made sure to transfer over all the votes gathered here to the original idea.

More info on how to search for existing ideas in the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!