[Desktop][Podcasts] Show episodes sorted by date

The Desktop app Podcasts page (both macOS and Windows) layout lists only podcasts series subscribed to. This is unlike the iOS app which lists podcast episodes by date episode was added (under the 'unplayed' section).

As a lot of the podcasts come out with episodes at a daily/weekly/monthly intervals and are consumed on an ad-hoc basis as they come out, a Podcasts page layout for Desktop apps which shows the episodes listed by data episode was added (reverse chronologically) is much needed.

This would make it 10x easier to find which of the many podcasts a user subscribes to has come out with a new episode, instead of clicking through each podcast and checking.

(see comparison of iOS podcasts page vs. Desktop podcasts page)

iOS-Podcasts-UI.PNG
Desktop-Podcasts-UI.PNG

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2020-04-02

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active and recent ideas in this forum, we will have to close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been rejected by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request I encourage you to post your idea again in a slightly different form! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of the community for your suggestion!

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Spotify Legend
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

Updated on 2019-07-15

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found: here.

Spotify Legend
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2019-07-15

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found: here.

Visitor

Similar to the mobile app, it would be great if Spotify on Desktop could have the option to show a simple list of the latest possible episodes on podcasts I've followed. Currently it only is able to sort via shows and only alphabetically and the most recently added. Not the most recent episode, but simply the most recent podcast show that I've chosen to follow/subscribe to. 

It makes finding new episodes extremely tedious as you have to click on each show individiually to look at their catalogue of episodes. I've resorted to opening the app to get a better view but I hope this can be implemented soon.

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2019-10-03

Nice idea! Marked as a new idea and edited the title slightly to make it easier to find via search 🙂

(This is a repost of the following Inactive Idea: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Podcasts-Sort-or-see-Podcasts-by-Seasons/idi-p/4567797)

Casual Listener

I mainly listen to podcast on the desktop app, so this is a would be great.

Casual Listener

I would very much like to be able to see recently released EPISODES of all of my followed podcasts.  

The automated "Your Daily Podcasts" is a step toward this, BUT right now you can't see what podcast the episode belongs to ????!!! nor can you choose which of your followed podcasts show up in this playlist. 

Casual Listener

It's being 2020 and on desktop nothing has been achieved about Spotify recent podcast episode list. When Google doesn't listen about or wishes I understand because we don't pay to Google. But when a company which I pay doesn't care about the things we say, I'm really **bleep** off.

How hard can it be to code desktop application to list podcasts recent episodes?

Casual Listener

You've marked this as a "new" idea, huh? Funny, because this is basic functionality that exists on literally every other platform. This simply cannot be that hard to implement. I understand how whiny comments like this may fall on deaf ears, but we aren't asking for a lot here. We literally would be happy with any other way of listing podcasts.  You've chosen to list podcasts in the most inconvenient way possible; you literally couldn't do worse.

To the Spotify employee who may find this comment: please, for the love of all that is sacred, bring this up. Development meetings, info sharing, whatever the **bleep** you call them, bring this to the attention of the right people as this should have happened long ago. 

Casual Listener

Hey Spotify Admin, this isn't a new idea. I've seen people ask for this simple and very-needed feature for the desktop app going back years. I'm actually baffled as to why it's not already possible? How can Spotify invest so much in trying to corner the podcast market but ignore such a basic function in the podcast-listening experience? In fact, it's the main reason I still use the Apple Podcast app (and previously used iTunes) on my MacBook instead of Spotify when listening to pods while working, which is much of the day.  

please!