[Desktop] Search by typing a Letter

Hi! Please bring back the ability to search for a song/artist by pressing the letter it begins with, that was super handy!

The other updates are great though I love the queue and 'your music' header.

Thanks!

Updated on 2019-08-29

Hello!

Your idea was submitted a while ago and unfortunately didn't receive the amount of kudos needed to stay active in the ideas board (100 Kudos per year). 

In order to keep the Ideas Exchange clearer I'll close this idea for now, but this doesn't mean Spotify rejected this idea.

If you think this is an idea which needs to be implemented, you're welcome to post it in a slightly different form :)

You can learn how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

Related Ideas

Comments
Croatoan

I learned that you can easily downgrade spotify.

You get most of the  lost features back! Highly recommended.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Tutorial-stop-auto-update-and-use-old-cl...

MrMorpheus

Lol! Yet another 'not right now' removed feature from Spotify. They've either fired all their developers or don't give a rat's ass about what their customers want and I suspect it's not the first option.

JohnAndy2244

WHY MUST THIS EVEN BE CONSIDERED!?!?!?! JUST FIX IT ALREADY! 

BRING BACK THE darn KEYBOARD FUNCTIONS!!! WHAT IS THE ISSUE HERE SPOTIFY!?!?! 

dianalmeida

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE  bring back searching by typing a letter :(((

Moodflip
Regular

This function was great., it made finding a song much in your playlist much easier and quicker. I can't see why it was removed, please make our lazy asses happy and bring it back to us!

RoninTheOrigina
Regular

This is insane that it was taken out.  Who does this help? I can't even really see a way that the money grabbers are helped, except maybe that users are inconvenienced for an extra few seconds, during which they will likely continue to play whatever song was already playing, which MIGHT be a profitable song.

tjessem81
Casual Listener

Get your fingers out of your **bleep**ING ASSES  AND GIVE US THIS BACK

WE PAY YOUR SALARY...

Without us, you are NOTHING.

So bring this feature back

sampatel85
Casual Listener

Why is this being marked as 'Not Right Now'....is it too difficult a software problem to fix?  I.e. too much resource?  Or is it a stand against common sense?  The search function is good but come on this was so simple yet so effective, I could breeze through my playlists now I have to search, cancel search, search, cancel search.

If it's not broke please don't "fix it" or at least give the community a chance to feedback before it gets implemented.  I think the whole community wants to get behind Spotify but it's difficult to retain loyalty when you make such silly changes to software in a laissez-faire manner with the community.  Apple Music is just about to launch and therefore it's pivotal for the community to get behind Spotify more than ever.  I love you guys I really do but please don't test me with these garbage changes and don't care attitudes.

If there's a reasonable explanation behind the change, I'm sure the community will understand and move on but you have to broadcast the reasons for the change first.

fantasucker

The second I noticed this, some months ago, in the new version, I instantly went around trying competitors. In the end I found out that I could do a trick to lock my spotify version to the old one. So the past few months I've been using an older version that still supports this feature, periodically checking in on my laptop (which runs the new version) to see if you've managed to re-implement it yet. Which you haven't.

This is an EXTREMELY essential feature of any desktop based music player. To even forget/not bother to include it in the first place is just absurd. Then to go months and months without BOTHERING to implement it again, really speaks to just how arrogant and/or incompetent the developer team of Spotify really is. 

As a quite loyal customer with multiple accounts even, I've endured years and years of re-emerging bugs that you've failed to make sure stay fixed across versions. I've lived through countless stupid annoyances and mishaps. But this is really the last straw for me. I'm a professional developer myself, I know more programming languages than I can count on both fingers and toes, I'm extremely well versed in C/C++ as well, not to mention web and network related technologies. 

To manage to release a new version lacking so many features of the old one (I could list a ton) is somewhat understandable, due to what I've come to expect from you people. But when users then point out essential features to you; easily fixable ones even! (which I know that it is, as a result of my programming experience). But STILL, despite this, you simply do not bother to do anything about it, even when users scream out for it. Why you do this, is beyond me, far, far, beyond me. The only explanation I can fathom is a combination of immense arrogance, and utter incompetence, which is quite unfortunate. 

You can trust that the second I can find a better alternative, or even an alternative I feel I could live with, I'll never again be a customer of yours.

Videonisse
Regular

I don't understand why Spotify developers REMOVE good and well used features ALL THE TIME, this is just another example.

Something is not right with manager of the dev team... :-(