Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Select default sound device for Spotify Connect

Currently Spotify defaults to using the default sound device when launched, it would be neat if you could choose which sound device you want to use instead in the options screen.

Thanks

Updated on 2023-08-23

Hey everyone,

We appreciate you sharing your feedback on the Community and showing your support to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Take care.
Comments
Katerina
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2020-02-04

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea - we've also edited slightly the title of your idea to make your suggestion more clear to other users.

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

awdemuth

I think this is what I desire as well - the Spotify Connect system is brilliant, but the fact I can't chose a default device is annoying. At home, I listen to music exclusively through my echo dot connected to a hi-fi, but hate trying to play the music I want with my voice, so I use my computer to browse. When I go to play something new, it always assumes that I want to listen on my computer, which I do not. I ALWAYS want to play music from my computer on my Echo device. I wish I didn't have to change the Spotify Connect to my Echo Dot device every time I start new music. It seems like an "Always play on this device" checkbox at the bottom of the Spotify Connect device list would fulfill my needs, and shouldn't be too difficult to impliment (I mean, it always defaults to my computer, should be easy to make it default to something else)

FranTheMan

Dear spotify, if you add together all votes from all previous similar but now closed suggestions relating to remembering last/default connected device, you've likely got the votes. Besides, this is a pretty basic feature request - premium users shouldn't be having to beg for it. Please just add it?

RaeChi1

I am using Alexa to voice control sending Spotify connect music to my hifi with a Yamaha receiver via MusicCast.  Every time I want to play a song it’s two voice commands, first to choose the song on spotify, at which point it defaults back to playing on the echo dot, then a second command to set it back to playing on the hifi.  Alexa can only see my Yamaha receiver via MusicCast not as a device so I can’t default from Alexa to play music on my hifi.  Also if I control spotify from my phone, again I have to start the song on my phone and then change it to my hifi receiver.  It’s a poor listening experience not to get the whole song on one device.  Would be much better if I could default Spotify to use my receiver if it’s available.  Please nicely!

RaeChi1

PS or remember last device would also solve the problem.

haltux

Spotify-connect is about half as useful as it should be without this feature, which seems straightforward to implement. I can't believe Spotify does not make a move.

I guess the only reason why it has few votes is that noone is using Spotify-connect. Sounds like a vicious circle to me: Spotify-connect is broken so people don't use it, so they don't make effort in making it better. Sad.

df4767

It is really annoying when I use my computer to control Spotify while listening on another device. If I pause Spotify for a certain amount of time then Spotify will forget the last device and start playing on me computer speakers. 

awdemuth

Yes, this is very annoying to pause then play only to find the source has changed. I also agree that Spotify Connect is frustrating enough that many people don't bother, which leads it to be an ignored feature that Spotify won't fix, meaning people will continue to not use it. Please Spotify, there have been many similar requests in the past for this, meaning it's not just a passing thought one person had, and it also means it's been insufficient to users needs for quite some time.

sz-z

+1 vote (or +3 if i can:) )

Better way is pair device (tv, wifi speakera, HiFi system etc.) with ssid of wifi as people mention in previous suggestions. But every other option to pair or remember device will be great. 

Ps. similar mechanism is implemented in MPDroid app (i mean wlan based connections) which is free.

killtux

this feature was requested serveral times in the last 3 years. can you please just add it?

i use spotify on 4-5 devices constantly and all have a remote "spotify connect" device where the music plays. its always the same but i have to choose everytime the device before i can start playing. thats so annoying as it doesnt save the last device.

as @sz-z suggested it would be useful to match the default device with the app and wifi, so if i use my phone to start music it should use a different device at work than when i am at home.