Announcements
We’ve made a few tweaks backstage, so everything should be back to normal. Additional info can be found here.

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Spotify floating Toolbar Player

Hello!

Since most ideas seems to be different ways to make our listening more efficient, smooth and comfortable here´s mine.
Many computers today already have integrated hotkeys (usually located above the F1-F12 buttons) that allows simple pausing and previous/next functions. However, keyboards/laptop keyboards that doesnt have these buttons would benefit from having an option to show a smaller version on-screen providing the same functions. The toolbar would be shown on top of current windows. (activated by pressing an (editable) hotkey?)  (See image)
While the current option works well enough, it force-minimizes the current window and brings up the Spotify window, which we then have to minimize, before returning to previous occupation.

This "toolbar" would probably be most appealing to gamers, since we dont like interruptions 😉 , but also to others who wish to make their music experience as pleasant as possible.

Sure, we´re talking about seconds.
But these seconds matters.

Happy and efficient listening!

SpotifyIdea.jpg

EDIT:
Several years later...

300+ kudos.  Nice!
When I wrote toolbar, I realize overlay would better describe what I'm hoping for. Much like how the Task Manager window has an option for "always on top", a very slim Spotify bar with the same propertiy would be great in-game or in any other fullscreen application.

Similar, but not the same:

Spotify Mini Player Concept by pixelpusher.
Kudos for kudos!

Updated on 2021-07-13

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

In the meantime, it’s worth checking out the Windows 10 Game Bar, which can be accessed by pressing Win + G and allows you to configure a floating Spotify widget to control music playback.

Thanks again, and please keep those ideas and requests coming! More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Daxal911

Is there any progress here ? Would Love to see it happen

Midnite

sooo giving this a kudos as a computer repair tech and a gamer! this would allow me to use my main's computer while backing up hard drives! i already pay for premium! something like this id try to help fund!!!!

anewking

they kinda do on pc, just hover over spodify. toolbar.jpg

This is Windows Media Player 11 on Windows XP:

wmp.JPG

This is a great idea, always wanted like this.

Hope you make it true 🙂

Thanks!

sxs

How has this not been implemented yet..

boot_killer

Came here to request this on Linux, well not the toolbar but support for the MPRIS Specification.

http://specifications.freedesktop.org/mpris-spec/latest/

adisib

I gave Kudos because Pendulum and old theme.

Quaid87

This happened to me today. On my Macbook, I had the bottom bar on Spotify embedded on all my windows at the bottom of the screen. I have no idea how it happened, and how I did it but now it's gone again and I don't know how to get it back!

I screenshotted it for people to see.spotfiy.png

NarcissistGuy

NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY DO IT

I want it

ivo_nikolov

kudos! I definitely wanna see toolbar option for spotify. Been longing for it for ages. Up yo game, spotify 😉