[Desktop] System Tray Icon with Player Controls (Pause, next, etc.)

While recent versions of Spotify Desktop (e.g. 1.0.8) have got the "minimize to system tray" option again, this is simply just an icon which allows you to open the full Spotify window.

Obviously our attempts to get the minimize to tray option were not specific enough about wanting exactly the same functionality returned, so can we please have:

A system tray icon which has the same functionality (via right mouse click) as it did before it was removed, which was:

• Name of current track playing
• Open Spotify
• Option to Hide from task bar when closed
• Play
• Next
• Previous
• Shuffle
• Repeat
• Exit
You had this before, so I dont see why you cant have it again.

Updated on 2018-06-16

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Related Ideas

Comments
Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21
Status changed to: New Idea
Updated: 2015-07-06

alv4
Roadie

Agree with this!

Sneftel
Casual Listener

Heck yes. Even if it's just the mini-controls that appear above the taskbar item on hover, that would be great. A system tray icon which does nothing on a single left-click is a UX smell.

Smegulator
Casual Listener

Thank you for bringing back the system tray icon, but yes, it doesn't really do much now. Please return play controls to the system tray context menu so users may skip tracks without bringing up the full Spotify window in the middle of work or browsing.

639me

what the hell is a tray?? you have a tray in your computer? does it bake bread?

asedas
Regular

Yep, play controls and info about song on hover needed.

Omni

Please please please add back this functionality. I've noticed I've almost stopped using spotify entirely since this was removed.

When I need to pause a song for some reason, phonecall at work or whatever, I just start sighing because it takes like 3-4 clicks and searching around for the locations of pause-buttons etc now, so that when it's time to unpause it again I just put it off because I can't be bothered, and usually just leave the music off for the rest of the day.

Controlling my music used to be so simple, now I have to fill my screen with a fullscreen program and look around for buttons instead of having them all easily accessible in the tray-menu.

I miss the old days.

SpSL

I couldn't agree more. When the march update that removed the minimize to tray option hit, I rolled back and blocked spotify updates. I've been running with the old version up until today, when I saw that the minimize to tray function was back. So I finally updated. To my dismay, however, I noticed too late that I have now lost the ability to change track without opening the ginormous window.

This is the number one feature on my wishlist, and it's honestly a little depressing that it's a feature I already had half an hour ago.

alferz

Agreed, this is critical. I would also add please add a tooltip that shows current track while simply hovering over the tray icon. Would also be awesome to thumbs up/star a track from the tray menu.

eloniusz

Also, program window should be shown/hidden by single click on tray icon.