[Desktop] System Tray Icon with Player Controls (Pause, next, etc.)

While recent versions of Spotify Desktop (e.g. 1.0.8) have got the "minimize to system tray" option again, this is simply just an icon which allows you to open the full Spotify window.

Obviously our attempts to get the minimize to tray option were not specific enough about wanting exactly the same functionality returned, so can we please have:

A system tray icon which has the same functionality (via right mouse click) as it did before it was removed, which was:

• Name of current track playing
• Open Spotify
• Option to Hide from task bar when closed
• Play
• Next
• Previous
• Shuffle
• Repeat
• Exit
You had this before, so I dont see why you cant have it again.

Updated on 2018-06-16

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Related Ideas

Comments
Polyman

It is awesome that minimize to tray is back. But would love to have this back to. 

Condor

As mentioned by prevous users, this seemingly small change affects the entire usability of the software.

I use Spotify in work and constantly have to pause to take calls etc. Previously I could right-click and pause. Now I have to go fullscreen.

Also, being able to hover over the systray Icon to see the Artist was brilliant for the "Discover Weekly" playlists.

Please fix. It couldn't be that big a change?!

thatloginisalre
Gig Goer

Not that I really care, because I use some old version of spotify from 2014 before it started getting butchered by intern programmers who were ordered to break as much stuff possible in a single-minded quest to (what, precisely?) which still has the full tray context menu, but I did accidentally run a new spotify version today and laughed out loud at how pathetic the tray context menu was. So I'm adding my voice here in case some disaster happens and I'm no longer able to run my old spotify.

mvhmarcus

Please add these simple but incredibly important options. The right click icon to pause is the single most useful thing with entire Spotify and it's missing...

Erricrice

Please add this! I used this constantly before the update removed it, and it's been quite a pain not to have it for a year or so now.

Spotify
Spotify
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it
Updated: 2015-12-08

Hey everyone, we're marking this as a 'Good Idea'. We'll let you know if we have any updates here. 

Spotify
Spotify
Status changed to: Not Right Now
Updated: 2015-12-10

Hey folks, we've passed your feedback on internally about having these feature return to the system tray icon. While we don't currently have this in our pipeline, we will update you all here as soon as we know if anything changes. Thanks for your feedback everyone.

davidyork
Gig Goer

Are you having a laugh? Who makes these decisions? Do they actually use Spotify on a desktop?

You had this functionality before and we loved it. Still cant understand why you would get rid of it and then refuse to return it when it is pointed out by users that it is really useful.

And with regards to "not in our pipeline" - the whole point of this thread was to get it inserted into the pipeline. Surely that is what we are doing here.

Condor

You're marking this as a “Good Idea”?! Surely one of your developers thought it was a "good idea”, that's why you implemented it in the first place. It's unfathomable to me that you would remove functionality that makes a huge difference to the usability of the software and have no plans to put it in your pipeline.

I have a folder on my machine called “Spotify Good Version”, this version number is 0.9.15.27. I’ll be rolling back to that today.

There are no improvements in the 1.0.20.94 version that would make me stay. I was holding on in case you decided to fix the systray functionality, but seeing as it’s not in your pipeline, I’m going to revert.

For anyone reading this who’d like to know how to roll back, the instructions are here

Put that in your pipeline and smoke it.

netmeg

Seriously?  This is enough to make me cancel my membership and just use Google or Amazon. What a poor user experience on your part!