[Desktop][Your Library] Cache Album Library Metadata Locally

Currently, assuming the Desktop player is mirroring the behavior of the web player, it grabs the metadata for 50 albums as a time as you scroll through your library. However, it doesn't know anything about how large that library is as it goes through.  This means that, as the user scrolls through their library of albums, it has to repeatedly load at the bottom of the "page" as the application loads in the next set of albums.

It would be functionally better, at the very least, for the application to know how big the user's library is. The user could scroll to any point in their library and with some quick math of how far they've scrolled the application could grab the albums for wherever they've scrolled to.

Even better, seeing as the 'Liked Songs' view of a user's library doesn't have this lazy-loading problem, would be to display the entirety of the user's library with blank/placeholder album art, and simply load the album art as they scroll through rather than the entire album cards.

This functionality is doubly necessary and would help to alleviate some of the frustrations of the desktop application not remembering where you were in your library if you click into an album and then click back. 

Also, I've built scrolling behavior like this before, and you should load the next row of albums at least one row before the user gets to where the blank row would be, if not two. It would make scrolling through one's library feel much smoother.

Updated on 2021-06-23

Hey there, 

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

As per our guidelines, the Idea Exchange is the place for the Spotify users to share their suggestions in the form of ideas (or support such ideas)

There is a related idea here that you might be interested in - if so, feel free to add your vote to it to show your support.

If you're experiencing issues with the app and need help or would like to discuss specific topics, it'd be great for you to write in the Help boards or Chat!

Comments
mcrvaz

This is my main issue with the new UI right now. I simply can't browse my albums properly because they are unloaded every time I switch pages and this was my main way of choosing music.
It takes me literally over a minute to reach the bottom of my albums page. Terrible experience.

holelho

Being more of an album listener myself, the lack of this scrolling feature really frustrates me. I used to scroll through my library in album view quickly so as to find out what album I want to listen next and it is my main way to find music to listen. But I can't do it quickly anymore. I have to wait for it to load after scrolling 50 albums. It's so annoying.

Eclectic_Kitty

Yeah, scrolling through my library is completely unusable right now.

bruno123
Roadie

Albums aside, the new Desktop UI simply can't scroll through large playlists nearly as well as the previous table.

I was suspecting it was due to reloading the artwork, but maybe it's about general metadata caching too indeed:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Desktop-Playlists-Option-to-turn-off-artwork-withi...

max151
Visitor

Yes, 100% agree with this.

Another infuriating use case is when I'm scrolled way down my albums list (having dealt with this problem on the way down), I click on an album, then hit the "back" button to go back to albums, and BOOM, I'm scrolled back to the top and have to scroll all the way back down again to continue browsing my albums where I was.

I don't know why Spotify UI updates always seem to be 1 step forward, 2 steps back. I feel like this was working somewhat decently before the most recent UI rework 😢

Xenia
Status changed to: Closed - Doesn't Meet Requirements

Updated on 2021-06-23

Hey there, 

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

As per our guidelines, the Idea Exchange is the place for the Spotify users to share their suggestions in the form of ideas (or support such ideas)

There is a related idea here that you might be interested in - if so, feel free to add your vote to it to show your support.

If you're experiencing issues with the app and need help or would like to discuss specific topics, it'd be great for you to write in the Help boards or Chat!

Related Ideas